How do I claim compensation from paypal?

jimbojones99
Community Member
I sold an item and sent it to the address supplied by ebay. (I have a copy of the email) the buyer contacted me to say his item had not arrived and I told him it was posted 10 days prior. He emailed to make sure it was posted to the correct address and when I gave him the address the item was posted to, he said he had not been there for two years. He had feedback for only two items, so my guess is that he had not changed his mailing address. However, paypal have found in the buyers favour and I want to claim for reimbursement of the funds lost. This is either the buyers fault or eBays fault. Does anyone know how I go about claiming?
Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

if the buyer paid with Paypal you only have Seller Protection if you sent it to the address given by Paypal.

check the paypal email or click .View Order Details. in the drop down menu on your my eBay SOLD page.

that will have the ONLY address you should post to.  never just post to the address in the eBay email, always the Paypal addrss, set by the buyer at checkout

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Did you respond to the paypal dispute?

Do you have & have you uploaded tracking & proof of address when requested by paypal in the dispute process?

Is the address that appears on the ebay order form the same as paypal notification address?
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks for that. His address in the View order details is now his new one. I have sent paypal a copy of the ebay email on where to send it to and also the tracking number. It was posted on a Sunday in a postbox, but I have logged the tracking number in my diary. It seems like nine of this matters to ebay.
Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Unfortunately you have done your dosh if you did not send to the address on the ebay form ๐Ÿ˜ž

It is a paypal requirement that you send to address that buyer selects at check out which is then reflected on ebay order form as well as on paypal advice.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

You still haven't answered the most important question of all yet.

When you sell an item, you receive 2 emails, one from eBay, the other from Paypal.

You are supposed to completely ignore the eBay address and post the item to the Paypal address only.

So did you post the item to the name and address which was provided on the Paypal payment advice, or the eBay "congratulations, your item sold" advice?

If you sent it to the address on the Paypal advice, you are covered for Seller Protection and the buyer should not have won the case.

However, if you sent it to the address on the eBay "congratulations, your item sold" advice, you don't have a leg to stand on and you won't be getting your money or your item returned.

So to which listed address did you actually send it?

It's a simple question, and requires only a simple answer.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

The op answered the question.

They sent it to ebay registered address which was not the address selected by the buyer at checkout (as evidenced by NEW address on ebay order form )
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks cats. So he did send it to the wrong address then. In which case, he's stuffed.
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

To make it very clear.

When an item sells ebay send an email and there is an address given, this will either be thye buyer's premier delivery address or the last one they used, a buyer can have several addresses linked to their ebay account.

That address is not confirmed as the correct delivery address until the buyer goes through checkout, nthey can choose any delivery address at that stage. The address given in checkout will be the one now seen in view order details and in Paypal.

You have to send to that address with a qualifying level of tracking in order to have seller protection.

The buyer has done nothing wrong, you sent to an address that was given pre checkout completion. There is no way you can get your money back from anyone, I hope it wasn't too expensive a lesson. Keep your fingers crossed, if your return address is on the parcel it may get sent back to you.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Thankyou everyone.
I use an ebay app and it was sent to the address provided by him. Does anyone know how I find out when he changed his address on his account because I think he has changed it after I posted his item? I always post to the address in the "view order details" as I believed that was the correct procedure.
Message 10 of 28
Latest reply