How do I get back the money eBay just stole from me?

So I sold a game in good physical condition but untested with no returns (buyers risk) only $5

The buyer claims the game doesn't work, uploads a photo of an extremely scratched disk (not the disk I sold) and via returns portal gets a full refund without me even being notified until it's done.  So some scammer gets both my good game disk and my money and eBay enables him/her to do so.  
eBay you owe me $5 and an apology, just look at the photos in my listing and the one uploaded by the scammer, they are not the same!

How do I get my money back?
Who holds eBay accountable for their actions?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The answers to your questions are...

You don't.

You do..when you agreed to the UA.

Did you not deal with the NAD case?

Not defending the buyer...however your photos do not prove what was sent to the buyer.

I'm happy to sling you a fiver in these difficult times if that will help[.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Not particularly helpful though I appreciate the gesture of sending me a fiver.

Doesnt eBay require items to be returned before a refund is given - that is what it says in the listing?

I don't know what the NAD case is.

Thanks for a replay to my questions.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Yes...eBay does require that...but not if you fail to respond to the case.

Did you accept the return & issue a label?

NAD...Not As Described.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Yes I don't think I'll he hanging around here much longer. I have a lot of electronic and gaming stuff to sell but I've learnt the hard way to avoid selling that stuff. It's high risk, scammers are all over it. I might pop back to sell low risk, books etc and sell the other stuff elsewhere

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

@grrtheseconthedrago0 wrote:

So I sold a game in good physical condition but untested with no returns (buyers risk) only $5

The buyer claims the game doesn't work, uploads a photo of an extremely scratched disk (not the disk I sold) and via returns portal gets a full refund without me even being notified until it's done.  So some scammer gets both my good game disk and my money and eBay enables him/her to do so.  
eBay you owe me $5 and an apology, just look at the photos in my listing and the one uploaded by the scammer, they are not the same!

How do I get my money back?
Who holds eBay accountable for their actions?

And that's why they tried it on.

You should have dealt with the case.

You made it way too easy for them.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

EBay processed the 'return' in just 20 minutes without notifying me nor giving me any opportunity to respond.  It was over before I knew anything was happening.  I was not made aware that there was a case.  

I not particularly concerned about the loss of $5 but what if it were a $50 or $500 item?  

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Double check your settings - some people have found that they have it set to auto-refund when someone openes a request if the $ value is under a specified amount. 

Check your settings here: https://www.ebay.com.au/rtn/Return/SellerRules

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Just so you know for your listings - 'no returns' is just for change of mind

They can still open cases for Item not as described and return it.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I'm sorry you got scammed - there are some dishonest buyers out there.

As others have suggested, check your settings because you should receive a notification from eBay of any buyer claims - it's very strange to be done and dusted before you even hear of it.

Also as others have said, no returns is pretty much meaningless - it just means a buyer has to click a different return reason to force a return request to go through.

Instead of selling your games at $5, make them $6.50 and think of the extra little bit as your scam-buyer slush fund. If 1 in 5 buyers were to do as you described, you're still ahead!

The other thing you could try is to list the disc's serial number in the listing - that alone will discourage some buyers from trying a forced return. Heck, it doesn't even have to be the correct serial number - who's honestly gonna check!?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply