How do I get the checkout cart to combine postage?

I've just set up a listing with variations. I've set it up so there's a flat rate ($4.90) for postage, with zero charge for any additional items. However, a potential buyer has just told me that whenever he adds an item to the checkout cart, it adds $4.90 postage per item.

Very frustrating, anyone know how to fix this?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Each variation is actually treated as a separate listing when it comes to combined postage, unfortunately, so even if you have $0 per additional items in the listing, if a buyer selects different variations the per additional rules don't apply.

So, you need to create a flat postage discount rule and apply it to the listing.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks digital*ghost. It looks like I already do have a flat rate -- I'm guessing now that I need to check 'apply my flat postage rule'?

Sorry, I've been on eBay for nearly 20 years but haven't done this variations thing before.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Yep ๐Ÿ™‚ if you have more than one flat rate postage rule, you'll get to select which one to apply when you edit the listing.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Hmmmm, so what's actually happening is that eBay is charging the buyer $1.50 for each additional purchase, even though I've specified ZERO for that! What the heck???

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@kustomizer99 wrote:

Hmmmm, so what's actually happening is that eBay is charging the buyer $1.50 for each additional purchase, even though I've specified ZERO for that! What the heck???

Is it the cereal toys? Because I put several different combinations of them in my cart and it says postage is $4.90.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Same here, I'm getting $4.90 no matter how many items are added to the cart.

Is the buyer using a mobile / app? If so, advise them to use a browser and access the full site version of eBay to see if that makes a difference.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Sorry, a bit off track here, but I am mystified how you get to send anything over a letter size for $4.90? I find it so frustrating that for a very small item which is too thick for a letter, I have to use a 500 gram prepaid satchel. I would love to find a way to send small items for less.

Thanks all.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@grannytakesatrip17 wrote:

Sorry, a bit off track here, but I am mystified how you get to send anything over a letter size for $4.90? I find it so frustrating that for a very small item which is too thick for a letter, I have to use a 500 gram prepaid satchel. I would love to find a way to send small items for less.

Thanks all.

The items in the listing in question would be set as a large letter, so that's what the $4.90 charge would be based on (I presume), though what a seller charges for postage and what it actually costs isn't always the same. For example, I have some items with $6.00 postage that will typically be sent as a parcel, and it obviously costs more than that, but the remaining costs are folded into the item price - it's more of an impression thing than anything else, and I will only do it on items that have a virtually nil rate of return. 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Oh ok, thanks for answering that for me. I thought I was missing out on something exciting lol.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply