How do I offer flat rate combined postage?

I would like to offer $1.50 flat rate postage for orders under $10, and free shipping for orders over $10. I already do this in practice, but I have to manually adjust invoices for orders under $10, or give postage refunds.

The free shipping for $10 orders is already in place. I can't figure out how to offer $1.50 flat rate for orders under $10. I set my items at $1.50 postage with $0 for additional items on each individual listing, but the problem is when someone buys several different items from my store (but under $10 total). eBay sums the postage in this case.

Under Account > Preferences > Combined Payments and Postage Discounts (which is where I set up the free postage rule), I'm looking at the Flat Postage Rule link. I choose "Add an amount for each additional item" and set the amount to $0.00. But it's not working. The second screen confirms the rule as "Charge the highest postage cost and add AU $0.00 for each additional item" but eBay is summing the postage at Checkout. So if someone buys 3 of the same item, the postage is $1.50, but if they buy 3 different items, they get charged $4.50 postage.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You need to set up two different postage discounts.

One to make all additional items have 0 postage, no matter if they are the same item or different items, and one to give the buyer free postage if they spend $10 or more.

The first one has to be a flat rate postage discount. The second one has to be a promotional postage discount, then you need to apply both of them to all existing listings. (They won't apply automatically). 

If you need more specific help on how to set it up, I can take you through it step by step. 🙂

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry - I just read through your post again then had a look at your listings. From the looks of it, you just need to apply the flat postage rule to existing listings, as creating it alone won't bring it into effect on pre-existing listings (on any listings you create now, make sure that both the promotional and flat rate discount boxes are ticked).

You should be able to apply the rule to existing listings with a bulk edit in selling manager.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for the info! I've now applied the rule (I think!) to all my listings. For some reason, 6 didn't "take" - I don't know what was different about them.

I'm worried it didn't, for this reason: while most of my listings were already at $1.50 postage, a few were $1.30. After applying the rule, they were still $1.30 (I would have thought they'd change to $1.50). Maybe I didn't give it time to update? ( I've now manually changed those to $1.50.)

Anyway, do you know of any way I can check if it worked? - Short of waiting for someone to buy multiple items and then seeing if their invoice automatically calculates the correct postage.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I'm not sure if you can check them all in one go but if you click on Postage See Details in your listing it shows

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Okay, fingers crossed that it works!

Thank you.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I have similar kinds of problem flat $12 for upto total order of $100 and free shipping greater than of total $100 order no matter either from one item or many items.
How can I setup the policy as I got problem that ebay is itself creating the policy and changing my shipping fees rules...... Please guide me through any youtube or video guide. Thank you
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The parameters have changed in the last EIGHT years.

d*g might well have an answer related to how eBay currently works.

In future, rather than dragging up a dead thread, maybe start your own.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@organickidsdirect wrote:
I have similar kinds of problem flat $12 for upto total order of $100 and free shipping greater than of total $100 order no matter either from one item or many items.
How can I setup the policy as I got problem that ebay is itself creating the policy and changing my shipping fees rules...... Please guide me through any youtube or video guide. Thank you

Just to clarify, you want the following postage rules?

$12 flat rate postage for any number of items if the order value is under $100

$0 postage for any number of items if the order value is over $100

I also need to know if you have business policies implemented, where you have policy profiles for postage, returns and payment methods and then just apply those to listings, or if you are setting up postage costs on a per-listing basis.

You have quite a few low-value items (i.e. under $10) currently listed with free post, so before I can advise the best way to approach the postage rules, I just need to know if you basically want all items under $100 to have $12 post as a flat rate, all items over $100 to have free post, and then have the cart apply postage discounts automatically that mean orders under $100 have the $12 flat rate, and orders over $100 to have free post.

(If so, it's pretty simple to set up, and is basically as I described earlier as the postage rules system hasn't changed much, but I will provide a bit more extensive information once I know exactly what you're trying to acheive).

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply