How do you deal with buyers that don't read listings properly?

So I have been having some problems with buyers recently which is really giving me a headache.

They are NOT reading the listing properly.

It is clearly stated in my listing how much it costs for shipping (I use a prepaid satchel service with a courier). So a buyer purchased 2 of an item from me in which I gave a discount on their shipping and they still weren't happy with that!!

Saying "What discount? You've charged almost $20.00 for a courier?

You don't state that on your site..you have $12.00 listed. I called our PO. Its cheaper than $20."

It is $12.00 shipping per item (Total $24.00), I charged him/her $19.60 with a courier with express shipping, it would have cost $21.15 with AP using standard shipping only which would take 5+ business days.

They then go on to make derogatory comments about me for NO REASON - well there is a reason, THEY DIDN'T

READ THE LISTING PROPERLY in the first place.

This is the second instance this has happened in 2 weeks. The first instance, the buyer stated to me that I would be sending out the second item to her for free without even contacting me first to confirm this. When I told her I couldn't and could only give her a discount, she threatened me with negative feedback.

Has anyone else had experiences like this and how have you dealt with it?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

While I understand the frustration, I also think there are a couple of things in the listings that could be causing some buyer confusion, namely, that for the listing the neutral was left for, in the description it's stated as a flat rate of $12.00 shipping - for a lot of people flat rate implies 'no more than', no matter how many items they purchase. And even though you have stated courier services are used in the postage and payments tab, the relevant details aren't made as explicit as they could be under your shipping terms, and there's no info re: combining postage (right or not - and IMO it's not - some people have a tendency to create expectations according to what they think is right or fair if things aren't stated very explicitly).

To help prevent this from happening again, I would suggest including a little more information about your shipping methods in the description, specifically that postage is via courier, and whether combined postage is available along with some example rates. At the very least, clarify in the description that "flat rate $12" is for one item only. 

In regards to the two buyers - you could try contacting eBay and requesting removal of the neutral, if everything transpired as stated, then despite anything else, you combined postage with a discount and haven't done anything wrong. The other buyer who has threatened with a neg if the second item isn't sent for free may be reported for feedback extortion (feedback extortion is when the buyer demands things that they are not entitled to on the threat of bad FB).

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Hi digital*ghost,

Thanks for the reply. I did read the feedback extortion policy and tried to get it removed as the policy states something along the lines that the buyer cannot demand for services or goods that arent listed in the listing. According to how the policy was stated I would have been eligible to have the fb removed.

Spoke to customer service who advised that they have to have in the one sentence "i will leave you negative feedback if you dont give me free shipping". The buyer implied that over two emails and it wasnt in the one sentence! What a joke...

Anyhow, I will definitely adjust my listing wording and see how I go.

Thanks for the advice 🙂
Message 3 of 3
Latest reply