How long before you call an item lost?

Just curious as to how long people give domestic mail (letter rate, untracked) to arrive before you call it lost?

I mailed an item by large letter on 4 Mar, rural Vic to Darwin, buyer contacts me on 26 Mar to let me know it hasn't arrived. I replied saying let's give it another week and then we'll call it lost and I'll refund.

I figure a month, even on a longer route like this, is plenty of time. Lovely buyer & low-priced item so no big deal really, just curious how long people generally give it from X location to X location before you call it lost in AP's void?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How long before you call an item lost?

had to deal eith ebay money back gaurantee. for lost letter items. posted on the 17th  Item case raised 26th no chose but to refund. Paypal canceled a deposit to my bank accubt and then overdraun my bank account.

I will now send item registered / Pickup only

Basicicall buyers can get a full refund on items they may have recived. Lost or stolen after ebay time estimates.

good luck in your selling/

Anthony

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: How long before you call an item lost?

I have recently had a similar experience. I posted two items from VIC to two different buyers in NSW on the 17th March, one buyer claimed non-delivery on the 23rd (Estimated delivery was 20th-24th) accusing me of not posting item and demanding refund. I lodged an investigation with Austpost as the other buyers item was delivered (as was another item posted 2 days later to QLD). Buyer was rude and aggressive in their behaviour despite the fact I was attempting to locate the package and resolve the issue for them, and communicating this back to the buyer. The buyer lodged a refund claim via ebay on the 25th, only one day after estimated delivery. I even contacted Ebay Customer support who advised me on the 30th, not to refund until Austpost had completed their investigation (due to the buyers behaviour). The buyer had initially agreed to wait until the Austpost investigation had been completed (I was offering a full refund on completion of the investigation, escalated this claim to ebay customer support on the 31st (Yes today) who have instantly refunded the purchase despite informing me not to until the investigation is completed. Even if Auspost now find that the item has been delivered to the buyer, the buyer has already scammed their payment back and I am out of pocket! Disappointed that Ebay advised me to do one thing then turned around and did the opposite themselves!!

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply