How to Handle this Paypal Claim - Item Damaged by Australia Post

Buyer emailed stating item was smashed open, had been resealed by Australia Post & letter attached from AP stating the item had been damaged in transit. They demanded I give them a full refund.

Buyer supplied photos and looks like the satchel has been caught in the machinery.

I rang Australia Post and was told the buyer needs to take the item & packaging to PO and make a claim for compensation.

I gave the buyer the reference number supplied and instructions on how to do so.

They open a Paypal claim again demanding a refund.

Been many years since I had an item damaged by Australia Post so wondering if any sellers had a recent experience and any advice?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to Handle this Paypal Claim - Item Damaged by Australia Post

Looks like the buyer's put claiming via Australia Post in the "too hard" basket, and decided to go the easier way - via PayPal.

I'd ask for the item to be returned, refund them on its return, and make the Australia Post claim yourself - path of least resistance, really: customer's satisfied, and you get a claim out of the way...

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

In my case it would depend on the value of the item. Would it be worth me paying for a return and spending the time putting in a claim with AP.  The buyer would also have to sign over the right to put in a claim to you and if they are unwilling to take the item to the PO they will probably put that in the 'why should I bother' basket too.

Unless it is a lot of money I would just bite the bullet and issue a full refund. I have a small amount from each transaction ring fenced to cover no return refunds and I in no way use even a small proportion of it each year.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Ask for the original packaging to be returned as well

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

In my case it would depend on the value of the item. Would it be worth me paying for a return and spending the time putting in a claim with AP.  The buyer would also have to sign over the right to put in a claim to you and if they are unwilling to take the item to the PO they will probably put that in the 'why should I bother' basket too.

Unless it is a lot of money I would just bite the bullet and issue a full refund. I have a small amount from each transaction ring fenced to cover no return refunds and I in no way use even a small proportion of it each year.

Yes your right,  it's not a lot of money so have just issued a refund.

Much easier to just let it go & move on - don't waste any time or energy on something that is not important.

Like people that spend thousands in court proceedings to avoid a $250 fine because 'It's the princilple of the matter'.

Thanks PJ for the reality check.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply