How to close eBay store sooner than subscription date end

I made the mistake yesterday of opening an ebay store and now it won't stop being a store until 31st January. I sell second hand books and incorrectly assumed that the free listings with a basic ebay store would apply for them. I didn't research what Collectables were enough and so my books had to be listed under that to be free.  I closed the store and spoke to someone from eBay who explained that it would stay open until subscription end date. To list my books in the correct category it costs me $3.30 a listing and so I should have stuck with the $1.65 listing fee without a store. Most sales are around the $5 to $20 mark so $3.30 plus other fees doesn't make sense for me to have a store. 

I removed all the listings except the ones that people had already bid on which will end on Sunday night to avoid relisting fees. Has anyone had any luck getting an ebay store closed straight away so that they continue to list on their profile? I can make a new profile but would much prefer to stick with my original. The lady I spoke to at eBay was nice and said not until Jan 31st but maybe someone else has had a similar situation solved? The store was open for just over 24 hours.... 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

there are so many things I want to say about this post but I will stick to the basic

Why not list your items as Buy It Now - not auction.     That way it will be free listings.    As you are already  been charged for a store, and as the ebay rep points out, can't change for a month, you might as well be selling

Spoiler
but my real queston is, how come your getting such good prices for the Babysitters Club books?  Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Therein lies the rub.

I'm not sure of the current rules, but I was under the impression that you could close a store after a month. I've had mine for 10 years, so I'm not up on the current rules.

Do your books attract lots of bids? Are they that rare that you need to list them as auctions? Do you know what a reasonable price is? If they aren't rare, and you know what they're worth, list them as BINs. That way you will indeed get them listed within your store subscription. $5-20 seems to fall within that level. You could always add 'best offer' if you want people to be able to negotiate.

Why $3.30? The standard fee is $1.65. Unless you are listing in 2 categories, which a store won't fix. You only get one category included in your store freebies.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Iโ€™d prefer to stick with auctions instead of buy it now because some weeks something might sell for $9 and the next week the same book might sell for $50. It really just depends who is looking at the time and who needs which numbers to finish their set.

Itโ€™s $3.30 because Iโ€™ve listed in two categories I think, but that might be because I added the other category after some items had been bid on and it wouldnโ€™t let me change category. Iโ€™ll have a look at that again.

Iโ€™m new to selling and went round and round in circles reading selling articles before I opened the store and still managed to stuff it up. Thanks for responding
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Just checked again and a new auction listing in the correct category is still $3.30
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

You seem to be listing in collectables AND books.

Don't use sell similar, or if you do, check before you list. The fees are shown before you send a listing live.

I'd still recommend BIN. You might miss out on the occasional bonus sale, but $0.00 listing fees vs $1.65 (or $3.30) will soon make up for it.

You only seem to have sold 2 books for more than $20, so it's not as if you are getting top dollar with your auctions.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks, I just drafted a new listing and started from scratch and was still charging $3.30 just in the books category.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Are you sure there is not a second category?

The standard for a single category listing is $1.65.

I can come over and check, if you like. I'm in Rivett, so not a long drive.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

If you use the store BIN listings you can ask $50 then include the best offer feature and buyers wont need to wait. If you get the odd item that you dont know what to price at then run an auction for these items.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply