How to deal with agressive potential buyers :/

Ok seeking opinions from the community on a recient message I recieved from a potential buyer.

I have a gold ring listed and the title Clearly states the Carat of the gold ,size ,stamps and weight.

I think the buyer must have just read the description and sent me this

" Could you at least give the gold content ,size and weight of the item ,how am I supposed to entertain an offer without thess basic details"

I replied " The details you are requesting are in the item title hun 🙂 "

*In hindsight I could have cut and paste them but i was dealing with a 3 year old screaming for his breakfast 😕 *

She then replied

"No "hun" they aren't in the description. I've looked again and the sizing is NOT in the description. The fact that it's gold is, but otherwise there no carat size, no size of the stone or setting, NOTHING!. I would like to know that before I would entertain buying it, if it's not too much trouble for you?."

EEEEK

I dont do well with agression so I replied asking her to not make an offer on the item as I didnt wish t deal with her ...in all my years in retail a cutomer this rude/agressive is likely to be trouble down the track.

do you think I made a rash decision?

I just want to sell my items not be abused on a Sat morning 😞

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Normally I reply to requests for info that's already stated with a fairly forumlaic - "thanks for your enquiry, the info is...... In case it helps in the future, you'll also find this information located [explicit instructions :D] for every listing". 

That message I probably would have taken a slightly different tact, as it was unnecessarily agressive from the start and they didn't even seem to read your reply (title and description are two very different things!), as in, still with the pleasantries, but included a screen shot for good measure. Smiley LOL

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

IMHO you could repeat the information you have in the title within your description, then no matter which one they look at they will see it.

You might also include a pic (JPEG Image) in the 12x pics you have available that also shows the same info so all the bases are covered.

If you feel un-nerved by the messages from the buyer just add her to your block list and move on, having done the above.

Some buyers ONLY look at titles.

Other ONLY look at pics.

And yet others ONLY look at descriptions (but these seem rare)

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

'Hun' is a little condescending,  methinks

Fair enough that she may not have read the listing properly, but 'hun'

would've gotten my hackles up

Calling someone 'hun'  in RL is different to typing it to a buyer IMO

Hope you've blocked her

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

anyone who makes you uneasy just block them.

maybe you lose a sale but maybe you avoid a loon too.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Plus you don't want her bidding,winning and then claiming "I want a refund hun", I thought it was a toe ring

since she can't be bothered reading what is right in front of her

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Block and no regrets would be my advice.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Normally I reply to requests for info that's already stated with a fairly forumlaic - "thanks for your enquiry, the info is...... In case it helps in the future, you'll also find this information located [explicit instructions :D] for every listing". 

That message I probably would have taken a slightly different tact, as it was unnecessarily agressive from the start and they didn't even seem to read your reply (title and description are two very different things!), as in, still with the pleasantries, but included a screen shot for good measure. Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Many people don't read text in titles, they just see photos and a few words and instantly click / tap on it.

I recently saw a "heat map" of how people use websites with mobile phones.  It was quite amusing, seeing how people try to tap on everything, especially things which don't do anything on the site.  It showed us that people prefer to be spoon-fed things with pictures and don't pay much attention to text links to find what they're looking for anymore.

So it's worth putting as much essential info into the description as you can.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks everyone. ..I think my concerns were warranted as she has sent me a lengthy rant this afternoon that is quite frankly bullying.

I'm not going to cut and paste the whole thing as this woman doesn't deserve any more attention but her final line was.
"Good luck getting enough money for your house deposit, with the **bleep** you are selling you will be lucky to buy a front door!"

As far as the use of the word "hun" that's just a oversight on my part as I use it all the time on FB when chatting and have never had anyone be offended by it ...its a friendly thing 🙂

I am so thankful that in the nearly 200 items I have sold so far my buyers have been lovely. 😍
I won't let this ruin my day and thank you all for the tips 💗
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

what is her feedback that she has left for others like?..That is often telling.

Your gut is right if a buyers tone is off then block them, dont get involved in telling them not to bid etc..

One buyer with attitude can be draining and leave you with scarred fedback and sometime financial losses

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply