How to offer 2nd postage option and discount it according to value of purchases

Hi All,

I am hoping somebody could point me in the right direction or inform me that eBay won't allow what I'm attempting to achieve. All of my listings have free postage which is regular untracked Australia Post Snail Mail and the Snail is getting slower and slower and getting lost more and more often.

I am trying to get my customers to use my 2nd postage option of Express Post but it is set to a value of $9.90 for a 500G Express Satchel to be used. On our website I have implented a postage discount on Express Post, every $10 spent gets $1 off Express Post cost until you spend over $100 and it is free. It is working incredibly well with an increase of 90% in customers using Express Post, but no matter how hard I try I cannot put a postage discount on the Express Post option on eBay because the listing has free postage, I'm assuming eBay simply won't let me do it but I just wanted to check if anyone here could help out if it is somehow possible. Obviously I would like it to be automatically discounted rather than for the customer to wait for me to apply the discount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Trev

Plaig Bearings

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hmm, I might have to have a play with the postage settings to see if I can work it out, but unfortunately I doubt it - I have postage discounts that work across three services, but it's all extremely simplified - basically I have regular postage, registered postage and express postage, and a flat rate discount of $0 for all additional items, which applies to whichever service the buyer chooses at checkout. There might be a way to do it with promotional postage, but I'm pretty sure that any eBay postage discounts that are set up this way have to work like mine do - that is, if you offer more than one service, it applies to all services.

i.e. I tried to do it a different way recently but found that there are some things that are just impossible - my items generally go as letters, so when AP upped the price and introduced priority, I actually wanted to have a basic postage rate, then 20c per additional item up to a max of $5, but only on standard and registered post, while express remained as a flat rate with $0 per additional item because parcel prices didn't change, and there's only the one weight bracket for up to 500g.... But it can't be done... no matter what, my discounts applied to each and every service offered. 

A store promotion may be a better way to go - they get applied to item prices, but same deal in the end - eg $x off for every $x spent, and then you could put in the tag line " + free express post", they'll show up on qualifying listings to advertise the promo, too. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply, I figured this would be the case, you would think that in 2016 some kind of flexibility would be an option, especially considering eBay rewards you for using Free Postage but then doesn't allow you to do anything with other postage options, very frustrating

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Just posting here again because I realised that you can set up postage discounts when the first option is free post (having seen it on other seller's listings). 

I'm not sure what kind of postage discount you were trying to set up, but the ones I have seen were all flat rate discounts, which are things like X amount per additional item, or free post for additional items and the like, and they'll work across all listings that it's applied to. If you were trying to implement a promotional postage rule, it may not have worked as according to eBay's help page, they can only be applied to listings that have a flat or calculated postage discount in place already. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply