How to reflect eBay collected tax for overseas buyer in accounting software

Hi all,

So recently eBay started collecting tax on their behalf for purchases made from overseas. I am now having to reflect this in the right account in my books.

From what I understand (perhaps wrongly so), eBay collects tax from me (the seller) to pay the tax office in the USA since my buyer lives in a state where that tax is normally collected.

So was charged approx $15 to pay eBay's taxes in the USA? 

Do I understand this correctly? 

What I need to know is how I reflect this in accounting - can I just post this as another fee, or would you do that differently?

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers

Peter

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

No, it is Australian tax on imports. Just like paying GST on local items.

GST is now paid on all imports including shipping and if collected by an overseas agent such as the GSP from USA or UK, they remit the tax to the ATO and often charge a fee to the importer for doing so.

That is why it equates to more than 10% if using the GSP.

Edit - sorry just realised you are the seller not buyer.

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I believe that ebay is now collecting USA state taxes if applicable.....same as they collect the GST here in Australia for overseas sellers.

As I understand it ebay will remove those taxes from your account to remit them in the USA leaving you with just the item cost and shipping.

I would check with your accountant but to be scrupulously honest I suspect you will have to show the amount coming into your account and then going out.  A waste of time in my opinion but the ATO likes that!

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I get the feeling your right and also when working it out it appears you pay paypal fees on the payment from what I could work out. I may be wrong as it was a quick calculation.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks mate - yeah I'm the seller, which is why it baffles me a bit that they charge us (sellers) the tax amount they have to remit to the USA equivalent of our ATO - if that buyer had purchased through my non-eBay website, I wouldn't have had to charge him GST, right?
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, you would be paying paypal fees.....paypal charges their fees on the total amount remitted.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Personally, I think eBay's choice to collect it this way is wrong - they are the ones with the obligation to collect and remit the tax, and the person or entitiy who has that responsibility is the one who needs to have that on their records (not to mention they're the ones who should bear any costs of that collection). It's not the same as an Aussie seller collecting GST and having to include it in their price, because they obviously have all of those aforementioned responsibilities. 

I don't sell internationally on eBay, but I do elsewhere and that marketplace also collects sales tax on orders from buyers in NZ and applicable US states - I don't receive the money, I don't get to use the money in any way, and I don't have the responsibility of handing it over to anyone, so I don't count it as an income / expense at all - it's less complicated though, because while the total paid by the buyer is shown on my records, the taxes are never paid to me at all, it's a separate transaction and the funds go directly to Etsy - that's how eBay used to do it, in a way, except because they're not set up to be paid directly yet, the funds went to an eBay-controlled PayPal account, now they're being paid to the seller, and the seller is paying fees on the amount, so it is forcing them to receive income and have expenses on that income - because of that, I'd probably recommend talking to an accountant on the best way to reflect it on your books, JMHO. 

I kinda hope that once their managed payments system is implemented, they go back to receiving the taxes directly rather than see it as an opportunity to make money from their tax obligations. 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I actually agree with you - I find it almost beyond belief that they collect it this way, especially because the fees they charge are high enough (averaging 16% of my sales prices - not a little if you know most products I sell have a markup of roughly 25-30%)... I wonder if they'll ever change this?
It makes me wonder if selling internationally on eBay is actually worth it or not - even though I do so fairly regularly. But then having to hand over this extra money just because the buyer is in the US, I find that quite frustrating.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

The money is paid by the buyer in the same way that we pay GST.

It is not coming out of your pocket as such....you still get the full mount of th item and postage.

Unless you are selling very expensiv items there is not much extra payable to paypal for the transfer......just add a few cents to your handling/postage charges to cover it.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I think my paypal fee was 65c which is nothing really but still each one adds up if US is your main selling avenue.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply