How to view all ebay id's for a particular buyer?

could anyone tell me if it is possible to find information on a buyers id whom I believe has several accounts, I just need to confirm whether the address and email information is one and the same

I sold a small item back in September and as it was not very big so I only charged minimal postage 3.50 of which there was no tracking

paypal contacted me last night to inform that a chargeback claim has been made for this item on the grounds of being an unauthorised transaction

I have contacted the buyer twice now to confirm details with her such as address, email and as to whether she had received the usual order communication you receive from ebay when you make a purchase, I have had no reply yet

I do not think paypal will rule in my favour as I cannot prove shipping in other words present a tracking number however I did come across correspondence from whom I believe is the same buyer under another account in relation to purchasing this item, the id is pretty much unique and so I am wanting to somehow find out whether these 2 ids have the same postal and or contact information

I do not think it will do me any good however it is more about principal as I cannot understand the near 2 month delay in disputing this transaction and not having at least received one email from ebay in relation to the puchase of this item, I am a bit perplexed by the whole situation and as this is my first chargeback a little bit dubious

any assistance would be most appreciated

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to view all ebay id's for a particular buyer?

From my expreience if you do not have tracking you will almost certainly lose the chargeback case.

You are better off just to accept liability as much as it irks you to do so.

If you try to fight it they will charge you an extra $15 for the privelege and you will still lose.

You can try pleading with them based on your good trading record and if the amount is small.

We did that and they closed the case "NO FAULT". But it was only for a $4 item.

This meant that the buyer still got their money back and kept the item but the refund came out of PayPal coffers not ours.

So it may be worth a try, but certainly don't fight it or you will just lose another $15.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

thanks for your reply, yes I think I shall just bite the bullet with this one, I will respond to paypal and plead my case for I cannot understand how you can dispute a transaction where not only your credit card information, paypal account, email address and postal address have been used without your consent or knowledge

I think I may have to start including tracking on every item I sell which unfortunately will increase the price of postage to the buyer however next time if this should happen again I will at least have evidence to provide in the form of a tracking number

once again thank you for your reply

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@rachelle011273 wrote:

I cannot understand how you can dispute a transaction where not only your credit card information, paypal account, email address and postal address have been used without your consent or knowledge

That's not always the case, unfortunately. For example, someone can log into their own eBay account and use a stolen credit card to pay for a transaction. Sometimes it's a family member using the card and the cardholder either doesn't recognise the charge, or simply decides they're not paying for whatever their spouse or child purchased. 

Occasionally, the bank is actually the one who intiates the chargeback, if the cardholder defaults on payments and they want to recover funds (I don't think the banks should be allowed to do that, but they can and do 😞 ). 

You can try to pursue the buyer for repayment, if you lose the chargeback and wanted to recover the funds, eg by sending them a formal request for repayment (using the same address), and if they don't reply you can report them for online fraud (if it is not the bank who initiated the chargeback, someone has committed fraud - either the buyer when they used a card that didn't belong to them, or the cardholder by falsely claiming the transaction was unauthorised). 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

There are many many scam emails that purport to be from authorities, or your bank etc. that will ask the often-panicked recipient to fill out exactly those sorts of personal details. So it can be possible. Chargebacks are not always cardholder fraud. As Digi says, it can be a family member who charges a cc without the holder's knowledge, too.

It isn't possible to see all IDs for the one person. For privacy reasons. But I expect you will put the ID on your blocked bidders list? If you suspect they buy again through another ID, you can report that to eBay, who will be able to check that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply