I believe buyer has item won't pay

As a newbie I wasn't aware of the benefits of tracking and sent an item to the US right at the start of the pandemic without tracking. Buyer claimed not to have received and EBay reimbursed her.The item hasn't been returned to me after all these months so I reckon she has it. Should I make a payment request through PayPal? 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@tathraman,

Would you really class yourself as a newbie? You've been an eBay member since 2001, and have been selling for some years...

You may perhaps be less experienced with sending items overseas, or inexperienced with disputes. Is that possibly what you meant?

To track or not to track... it's a question of item value and whether or not the item is the sort of thing likely to be purchased by would-be purloiners. And in these mad and difficult times, when the world is in the mouth of a gasping pandemic, posting overseas has a greatly increased level of difficulty.

You should probably read some of Australia Post's disclaimers and updated advices about their delivery - in particular, international delivery. It's entirely possible that the item you posted is still in a warehouse somewhere... or on a ship en route... or lost in the general chaos... or indeed nestled in the buyer's pernicious hands...

But you can't assume the hands are pernicious or that they hold anything other than a glass full of green smoothie, and even that is a moot point.

You have no tracking, hence no proof that the item was delivered. PayPal would have no basis on which to give you a refund of the refund. I'm sorry...

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Yeah - sadly, I guess you're right. Thanks anyhow for a splendidly elegant reply.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

curtsey.gif

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

What if the situation was reversed... you ordered something from the US, it was sent without tracking, it didn't arrive and you received a refund via the eBay money back guarantee. Several months later the seller sends you a request for payment via PayPal.

The item you sent might have been lost by Aust Post. It might have been lost by US Post. It might have been delivered and someone walking past stole it out of their letterbox or from their front porch. Or the buyer might indeed have it. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

All sorts of traps for the unwary player
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@tathraman wrote:

As a newbie I wasn't aware of the benefits of tracking and sent an item to the US right at the start of the pandemic without tracking. Buyer claimed not to have received and EBay reimbursed her.The item hasn't been returned to me after all these months so I reckon she has it. Should I make a payment request through PayPal? 

Hi, sorry to hear of your dilemma. It may actually be possible that it took a long time to reach the buyer. Maybe they have it now. Anyway I guess the temptation is always there to keep an item. Perhaps wait one more week and then send buyer a message ......

"OK, I have been in touch with the postal people who were able to give me an accurate estimate on the arrival time and you should have that item in your hands right about now. Please, it would mean a lot to me if can see me right now that you have the item and have also been reimbursed".

I once sent a seller who was ignoring me a message outlining my unfair treatment and they apologised and fixed me up.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

So you're advocating lying? That would make the seller no better than all the scamming buyers. OP has no way to track the parcel so if they were to tell the buyer they have an accurate estimate of the arrival time from the postal people they'd be outright lying.

Said item could be anywhere in the world. If I was a buyer who didn't receive an item and I got messages from a seller implying I was taking advantage of the system to get a free item I certainly wouldn't bother replying to them, so don't assume no reply has a sinister meaning.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

But if the item was sent with no tracking, why do you assume the buyer has it?

I ALWAYS use tracking, but a few times earlier on I didn't on a consistent basis, and a few times buyers said they had not received an item. I had no way of knowing if they had or not, which was entirely my fault, so refunded them, and learned that for me, tracking is worth it.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply