I'd like to know how Ebay seller ratings are fair.

1.) Every item I buy on Ebay arrives 3 - 10 days later than Ebay promises, yet the seller sends it on time. How is that the sellers fault?

2.) We are also a seller & we post our items within the promised period but we are held to account if US Post takes too long too delever it. How is this our fault?

3.) We constantly get told that that we're not answering all of our questions. Do I really have to answer a question, when a buyer says "Thankyou" or "All Good" . Wake up Ebay & stop being stupid & pedantic about nothing.

4.) When a buyer doubles up on an order, then refuses to answer all of your requests to cancel the double up, how are we held accountable for a non-smooth Seller Resolution?

5.) And "by the way" where it says "Out of Stock or other" what is Other. It just registers you as out of stock. Just say "Buyers fault" or "Sellers Fault" . But then I suppose, in Ebays eyes, nothing is the buyers fault.

Could you please get somebody with business experience to create your policies. Not a fresh faceduni student, bucking for a promotion.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: I'd like to know how Ebay seller ratings are fair.

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I for one am not sure what exactly "Active Content" is dumb as that may sound but obviously I am not using any.

In short, active content is anything that moves or is interactive (uses flash, javascript etc).

This means things like scrolling galleries, animated gifs, interactive menus / links (eg tabbed sections, like some templates have where people can click between description, policies, shipping info etc), postage calculators (some sellers who use freight have a widget where buyers can enter their postcodes and get a shiping quote up front), some image galleries, and embedded videos like YouTube clips (embedded video isn't being banned, but the code can't contain banned script, so as good as for the time being). 

As far as I know, eBay will not be banning accounts if a seller's listing (or listings) contains active content, but rather they will do what they usually do when these kinds of changes are introduced - give you up to a year to make changes, then start blocking, and/or removing listings that aren't compliant (I don't know if a listing removal will result in a policy violation, but if so that could potentially affect someone's selling account).

I haven't been getting any email warnings or notifications, but there is one instance of Javascript in my current templates (it seems to be for an image gallery I don't use, and my listing doesn't look any different when I view it with active content removed). 

This page walks through the changes, and provides alternative (compliant) options to acheive some of the same functions without active content.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: I'd like to know how Ebay seller ratings are fair.

@ozbushq wrote:

1.) Every item I buy on Ebay arrives 3 - 10 days later than Ebay promises, yet the seller sends it on time. How is that the sellers fault?

This is Ebays back door way of pushing sellers to use door to door tracking (ie lodgement tracking). More reassuring for buyers, and only way to show seller actually did meet promised handling time.

Unfortunately it is not logistically convenient for many sellers and hence they can be unfairly penalized.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 12 of 12
Latest reply