I found out the hard way - a warning to other sellers

I will try and keep this as brief as I can:

On the 12th Jan, I attempted a 'bulk edit' on my listings to change my blurb in the DESCRIPTION of my listings....I wanted to change from 'fill a 500g envelope for $4" >> 'fill a 500g envelope for $5' (I would change the postage later). I 'replaced' $4 with $5....all good...it worked...BUT on checking my listings....ALL my nearly 1800 listings had a postage price of $5.....I didn't change anything in 'postage'.

Contacted ebay via 'live chat' and advised that their style sheets were incorrect....after toing & froing they advised that they would escalate to Tech & get back to me after 24 hours.......I am still waiting.

The upshot of all this is that I put my store in Time Away, cancelled ALL of my 761 BINs....revised or ended 938 auctions...and have spent over 70 hours (and counting) trying to fix this mess! Obviously auctions cannot be removed if less than 12 hours to go...buyers were buying during this time, so I am out of pocket (but am honouring sales). Auctions have to be ended one at a time (you cannot bulk close).

I now must manually edit my listings 1 by 1 to see what size satchel they will fit in....as I CANNOT sort by postage costs (obviously).

This will take me unknown hours??

I don't know how long this will take me, and ebay have already informed me that I should not have bulk-edited (apparently that's my problem).

These relists will now come off my standard allocation....and hopefully I will have enough to accomplish this, without cost.

Pfft......let this be a warning....why have BULK EDIT when it does not work...USE AT YOUR OWN PERIL

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I only ever bulk edit postage prices for AP price increases.

I don't use style sheets, or any other fancy 'time-saving' options. I keep it as vanilla as possible.

Sorry for your problems.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

No, I am not using style sheets (as all websites do) I am using theirs, same as you....and they are incorrect...otherwise I would not have a problem
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I should have been able to change 'description' without changing 'postage costs'
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Can't help, sorry.

I have either flat AP prices or 'free'. I offer my discounts through $ triggers, which seem to work. I don't use postage rules.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

There would be no websites if there were no style sheets ie: CSS

This has nothing to do with postage and everything to do with how the site works or doesn't.....doesn't is winning

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I really cannot understand how the CSS on the website can cause a database value to change in their system when you updated.  Sounds like the customer support person made that up.  CSS is just for controlling how things look in the browser - fonts, font-size, colours, layout, padding, etc.

Really hope you can put it all behind you soon - sounds like a huge amount of hassle caused.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Sounds like the customer support person made that up. 

No...it was me that suggested that ebay's style sheet was incorrect....how else can you change blurb in "DESCRIPTION" and have that eventuate into a postage change?

Was it because I used numbers...as in changed 4 to 5? 

I have successfully bulklisted in the past.....but there were no numbers involved....really scratching my head over this one?!

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply