I have a feeling we fell for a scam - buyer claiming counterfeit on a genuine very expensive item

I have listed my husband's very expensive phone (it's over $5000 brand new) and finally sold it at best offer for only $1300, much less than what we were hoping to get. But we really needed the money. I took all precautions - took very detailed photos, sent the buyer the IMEI number  and tracking number, insured the phone for $1300 when posted. She received the phone and literally the next day I receive a message that she believes the phone to be a copy or a fake. I am in a state of shock, I am not a retailer, I only sell my own second-hand goods and this phone was a gift from a close friend of my husband's. There is absolutely no chance that it is fake or a copy. She didn't even investigate,  i suggested that she takes the phone to a TAG store to check and she completely ignored that. I have a feeling this is a scam artist who is now requesting a return for refund and will send us back a fake phone to scam us.

My questions is, does anyone has any experience with what kind of process ebay/pay pal follows when a buyer claims the item to be fake? I listed the item with "no returns accepted" condition so I am also wondering - am I able to reject her return request?

Message 1 of 286
Latest reply
285 REPLIES 285

I have a feeling we fell for a scam - buyer claiming counterfeit on a genuine very expensive item

Message 2 of 286
Latest reply

Have absolutely no idea what happened then ???  Blank !! Uh ?

Message 3 of 286
Latest reply

did you actually sell it on ebay? its not showing up on your sold items, just ended items...

Message 4 of 286
Latest reply

Yes, absolutely, it was sold on ebay with best offer accepted, I will try to copy a link here. I am not sure why it can't be seen on my account, I can see it from my end:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181623289581?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Message 5 of 286
Latest reply

If they paid by PayPal and open a case in PayPal, they will be required to provide written proof to PayPal from an authorised seller of the said product that it is a fake.

Should they obtain such documentation, PayPal will often require the buyer to destroy the item rather than return it, and will receive a refund.

However, I would imagine the IMEI number should be verified with the manufacturer that it is genuine or not.

And I would be obtaining that info in case an ebay case is opened. ebay doesn't appear to be as stringent as PayPal.

image host
Message 6 of 286
Latest reply

If she takes it to a TAG store she will undoubtedly receive an answer that it is a genuine phone because I know it was purchased at a TAG store. My concern is that she is an experienced scam artist who might have a copy of a similar phone already prepared and claim that what she received in the box is not what I listed. And then keep my real phone to resell it later. it would be impossible for me to disprove it I think. It all just stinks of a scam as she made no attempt whatsoever to verify that it is genuine, she opened a case immediately upon receipt of the item. Really, really suss. :(((

Message 7 of 286
Latest reply

If you have pics showing the device serial number then it should be pretty easy to confirm if they send you back some other non-working device.

If you mailed with full tracking and/or SOD to the paypal address then you have protection. For this value I would want SOD myself.

Do you have any docs that authenticate the device from the OEM?

Message 8 of 286
Latest reply

Not if you have proof you can provide the case with, that the IMEI number proves it is genuine.

And if it was me I would be obtaining written proof from the store.

Such high end stores are usually very good with assisting especially if you explain the circumstances.

image host
Message 9 of 286
Latest reply

If the return request is via eBay, you won't be able to deny it if the buyer claims it's fake and eBay believe them. Sadly, I think it's quite difficult to defend a claim like this - I don't know what (if any) evidence eBay will request from buyer or seller, this is a link to the guarantee that described the process for INAD claims, but it doesn't give much info at all about disputing a buyers claim, only provides the suggested options for how to resolve (like replacing, refunding or accepting the return). 

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#nad

Message 10 of 286
Latest reply