I have noticed that some of my items have a selling restriction of maxium 5 items per buyer.

Hi,

Has anyone noticed or experienced that their listings sometimes have a restriction on them?

When someone wants to purchase more than 5 of a particular item the following warning comes up "Purchases are limited to 5 per buyer".

Now these items are variations, and the "Limited Quantity Available" warning is showing, is that the possible cause of this 5 Limit, and if so, how do i remove it as I have a total of 1000 Items available across my variations, and to me, thats not Limited, and its affecting what potential customers can buy.

Any advice is good advice.... mostly.

Thanks.

Mike.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I have noticed that some of my items have a selling restriction of maxium 5 items per buyer.

Have you checked your settings in case you have accidentally changed it or ebay has caused it during their "maintenance fixing day"?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

There is a block, as sparklz mentioned, which can be found under Account > Site Preferences > Buyer requirements. If you edit that, in the list is one that says "Buyers who may bid on several of my items and not pay for them", and you can prevent buyers from purchasing quantities between 1 and 100 (the default is usually 10 - I presume 1 means they can't purchase more than 1). You can also choose to only apply this block to members with a feedback score below a certain amount, or remove it completely by unticking it and saving (if it's been implemented).

Funnily enough, I received a message from one of my sellers the other day advising that a strange new purchase limit has been applied to one of their listings - apparently, buyers were getting a message saying "This item is so popular that we had to limit the number you can purchase. You can buy up to 3 of these" when trying to purchase (they sell packaging supplies, so it would not be uncommon for buyers to purchase multiples of the item). How thoughtful of eBay, to decide on behalf of sellers how to distribute / limit purchases /s (The workaround for this one involves buyers having to use the cart, not buy it now). 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks to both the above for your replies.

I havent changed anything in Buyer Requirements since i started on ebay.

But the one thing in common with the items that are having these issues is they have the "Limited Quantity Remaining" on them, which is complete **bleep**. I would love to know how to get rid of that Limited Quantity Remaining comment and just show how much I have left.

And also sometimes items cannot even be added to the cart, I click on add to cart and it says there was an issue adding to cart, and this is using an account that has no negative and a rating over 1500, so something is amiss here. I guess I have to wait until 9am monday to speak to someone at ebay.

It seems i am being punished by ebay for the popularity of my items by them artificially limiting the amount people can buy, where as digital*ghost says, it should be upto the seller to control how they sell and distribute their goods.

Thanks to all anyway.
Mike.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@omahkulo wrote:

But the one thing in common with the items that are having these issues is they have the "Limited Quantity Remaining" on them, which is complete **bleep**. I would love to know how to get rid of that Limited Quantity Remaining comment and just show how much I have left.

I've seen that displayed on listings but always thought it must be an option reserved for big box sellers as it seemed to only ever be on those retailer's listings (i.e. the ones who have additional perks and features, like Good Guys, Officeworks etc). There is a setting under site preferences (under the "Sell Your Item form and listings" section), where you can opt to display exact quantity remaining, or show "more than 10 available" if the quantity exceeds 10, but 'limited quantity available' doesn't seem to be a common (or commonly available) feature, unless it comes with the Anchor store package, as I just have a Featured store). 

I tried to find more info via googling, but no one really seems to know - the best guess put forward was that it's something that happens on listings with high numbers of sales, and a comparatively low number of stock remaining. (eg in your RIT listing, it states 2931 sold / 75% sold, so it's clear the combined quantity currently available is close to 1000 units between all colours, and is probably a listing that is consistently re-stocked, but eBay hypes it with (IMO often misleading) marketing flair to make buyers think their chance to buy is running out. 

Classic eBay - Don't wait, there's not many left and you'll miss out so buy now!!!!

....Wait, there's not many left so you can't buy them. 

facepalm

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

The limited quantity available notice isn't just for really big sellers. I've seen it many times on all sort of listings, just as I've seen the notice that says "Over 50% sold" and other similar things. It started well over a year ago, at the same they started saying "100% feedback" or "long time seller" or whatever it is that they have in the same area.
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
The limited quantity available notice isn't just for really big sellers. I've seen it many times on all sort of listings, just as I've seen the notice that says "Over 50% sold" and other similar things. It started well over a year ago, at the same they started saying "100% feedback" or "long time seller" or whatever it is that they have in the same area.

I wasn't taling about slogans that appear underneath the box, but what it says in the box (I do look at listings on a daily basis, sometimes even my own, so it's not like when I notice a difference, I have no basis for comparison)  - as mentioned, it appears in place of showing X quantity remaining, or More than 10 available, like this:

limited quantity type one.PNG

In some cases the 'X sold" isn;t even there, so you can't see how many have sold, or click into the sales history, and in other cases there's nothing there (not limited, X number, or more than 10) and all it shows is the number sold. 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Yes digital*ghost, the Rit Dyes are one among a few others that have the Maximum 5 limit on them.

I dont want that Limit, I dont care if someone buys one or all of a particualr colour, let it be the buyers choice, but Ebay thinks they know best and screw sellers over.

Also I have had a few buyers even contacting me that they cant even add a particular item to their cart, let along limit to 5.

So unless ebay can remove those restirctions, which from past happenes they probably wont, I will most likely have to relist the item and loose my whole sales record for the item and loose all the watchers.

Anyway I will let you guys and girls know what happenes when i speak to them on Monday.

Appreciate the replies from all above.

** As you can see below the Limited to 5 per buyer displays, but I actually have 68 packs of Dark Brown available for sale, this is what really frustrates me.**

Screenshot_13.jpg

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Posting this just in case the issue is not resolved, and / or is affecting other sellers.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the cause, but another seller I know of has recently experienced a similar problem with buyers being restricted to limited quantity purchases, and eBay has now advised them it's because they once (and by "once", I mean years ago) applied to take part in eBay deals / promotions. The application must have been kept on file for a while I guess, but apparently the items this issue was affecting were items that were included in some kind of ebay deal or promotion, and the limit is applied to help make sure more customers can purchase the item.

The seller was also advised they need to submit a request to opt out of eBay deals. 

So, if anyone is experiencing this kind of limit, this may be the possible cause and solution. (This might also explain why I tended to see it on bigger seller's items, as they are consistently involved in promotions and deals). 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Hi There,

Its been over 2 weeks now and ebay still have no idea how to fix this solution.

Its quite pathetic really.

I have noticed that other sellers are now been hamstrung regarding this.

I wonder when ebay will figure this mess out as it must be affecting hundreds of sellers.

And yes I was in the ebay deals without my knowledge and opted out, but the issue still continues.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply