I haven't sold anything for several months. I normally use 500gm 3kg and 5kg prepaid satchels with t

I am a private seller, who has collected items over 40 years, mainly vintage stuff. Including china and glass etc. A lot I have also inherited and been given. Over the last few years I normally have a bit of a clear out over 3-4 months, I simply cannot hold on to all this stuff forever. Ihave not sold anything for about 6 months.

Normally I use prepaid satchels 500gms, 3kgs and 5 kgs and as I only sell in Australia I used to fix the postage as the cost of the satchels and perhaps an extra 50c-$1.00 for handling etc.I always offer combined postage, charging $1 extra per item added to a package.

Now I know ebay are charging commission on the postage, which is outrageous and postage costs have again increased.

I have been looking through sold listings and just cannot work out how sellers are now setting their postage costs, they seem to be all over the place?

Perhaps some could explain how they set their postage costs in Australia since things have changed, I like to keep things simple, but am not prepared to absorb these extra ebay fees and think they should be added to the postage cost.

Any advice would be welcome please.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I haven't sold anything for several months. I normally use 500gm 3kg and 5kg prepaid satchels with t

Just add 11% to your basic postage price inc handling.

That should just about see your costs set to where they were prevously.

Didn't you know postage in Australia was free lol

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

For parcels (except 5kg ones), i use eBay labels. They are significantly cheaper than Click and Send or standard AP satchels. Enough to cover the extra FVF on postage, at least.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for that, it certainly is simple. I guess what I have done previously has always worked pretty well for me and seemed fair to the buyers. So that is good advice ๐Ÿ™‚

Postage free lol if only!

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

What are ebay labels? Sorry I don't get that duh brain me ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

You have the option for parcels of using eBay's label system to post items. The option will be the top one against your sold items.

The choices are, inter alia, 500g own packaging (although that is only cheaper for the next week and a bit), 500g satchels, 3kg satchels, 1kg B1 boxes. There are others, but I don't use them.

The boxes can be bought from AP for $1.75 in singles, postage $7.15. The satchels need to be purchased from AP and need to be the eBay ones. 15c and 21c each by 20s. Postage is $7.15 and $11.70.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Oh OK, thats sounds interesting. I can't understand how I havent come across this before. Does this include tracking?

Thanks for your help by the way ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

All parcels get tracking. eBay and C&S ones get real tracking.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I use large letters, small parcels ( under 500gm. ) , 3 & 5 kg. satchels. I set my price at the cost of the satchel, plus around $1.00 to cover packing materials and lost items in the mail. I then add another 10% to cover most of ebays FVF on postage. I dont profit from the postage, just covering all of my costs. On International post I usually absorb ebays 10% FVF plus often giving a discount. ( all out of my profit margin ) as International post costs are ridiculous as it is. Like you I have noticed many sellers postage costs are all over the place and often seem fairly expensive to me. These expensive postage costs have certianly slowed my ebay purchases down dramatically.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@grannytakesatrip17 wrote:

What are ebay labels? Sorry I don't get that duh brain me ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi. I have been using a mixture of prepaid satchels as well as the flat rate postage/ebay labels. Perhaps the flat rate/ebay label/ mailing boxes combo would work well for some of your china etc? Here is some more information including prices:

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/ebay-flat-rate-satchels-and-boxes.html

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply