I havent sold a thimg (or hardly a thing) since befor xmas,

Usually I sell at least 1 item per week or so

This has me totally baffled

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I havent sold a thing for ages

It's possible people are still in holiday mode (some with kids) - going out more, spending on food and fun, etc. I know that almost all fun resorts are fully booked out for January around the east coast.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

How much you sell regularly depends on what you sell as some items are seasonal. Some sellers will be priced low enough that people will buy for this fact even if they don't need the item yet and others will rely on volume as the more listings you have the more exposure you get. 

So if you want to increase your sales just increase your listings. Unfortunately most find 500 to be the miniumum if you want to have 5-10 sales a day. 

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Whilst you are quiet you might take the time to check the Item Specifics in your listings.

I found that once I'd filled in all the gaps (even if I had to put Does Not Apply) my listings suddenly became popular with 10 sales in 1 day after nothing for 2 weeks.

Go figure!

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

It's often quiet this time of year, even in the stores.

People have spent a lot of money for Christmas and they go away and spend time with family and friends.

Then there are the expenses for getting all the kids stuff for school. 

You usually find things start picking up Feb and March when things get back to normal.

I use the term "normal" but with covid it might be a new normal.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply

I had one of my best months in October but then sales dipped a lot in November and fell off a cliff in December -  and the period around Xmas and the first week of Jan was down even more.

Part of that is the normal "cycle" of online selling, but there was also the reduction in government assistance and also if people were able to go away after being cooped up for so long, they did so, and were obviously prioritsing their funds for other things.

Having said that, in the last 2 days, I have seen an uptick in sales which is great - I'm sure you will start to see an improvement soon.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I don't think the OP was advertising at all.

I never look at my sold listings - I can see on my dashboard the comparison from the previous month and the previous year.

Aside from the Seller Hub, I have 6 years of comparison data for my shop which I keep on an Excel spreadsheet so I can easily see how things compare month on month and year on year since I started in 2014.

Whilst over the last 6 years my shop has trended upwards overall, there have definitely been times that I have been mystified by a long term dip. One of those times was about 18 months ago when I changed the subscription level of the shop and suddenly it was like a switch has been flicked. For several months afterwards, my sales dropped like a stone. They didn't stop altogether, but definitely fell off a cliff for no apparent reason other than the change. I also came to the boards at that time in search of answers, and was not advertising my shop, but was seeking to see if anyone had any suggestions. Someone mentioned reindexing the listings, which I did and voila, not long afterwards, my sales rose again.

For any seller that has not updated their item specifics as per last years requirements, they will definitely be pushed down in search, which is a possibility for the OP.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Stop complaining.....you have sold 63 items since mid October.

There are many sellers who would kill for sales like that.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Have i really sold that much?

In that case i wont complain then

I suppose im not used to having such quiet times

As long as Im doing the right thing by E-Bay thats cool

Mainly I was concerned that I did something wrong and that ebay wasnt giving me exposure

Thank you for taking the time to respond lyndal1838

Much appreciated 🙂 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

How could you not know how much you have sold?

Don't you look at your Sold Items list?

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

It's possible people are still in holiday mode (some with kids) - going out more, spending on food and fun, etc. I know that almost all fun resorts are fully booked out for January around the east coast.
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Thank you so much for your kind response love-of -cars.. 

I looked back at my sales and in October November people really buying up big.

I was comparing my sales with what I had previously sold. 

Main thing that concerned me most of all was that i thought i had done something that wasnt in line with the EBay rules and regulations.

Thanks again for the positive message 🙂

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

How much you sell regularly depends on what you sell as some items are seasonal. Some sellers will be priced low enough that people will buy for this fact even if they don't need the item yet and others will rely on volume as the more listings you have the more exposure you get. 

So if you want to increase your sales just increase your listings. Unfortunately most find 500 to be the miniumum if you want to have 5-10 sales a day. 

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

You've had 63 sales since mid October. I got my invoices from eBay the other day, for all three selling accounts, for December. I owe eBay absolutely nothing for December. Two accounts were also zero for November too, so you're not doing so bad.

You currently have 26 active listings. How many do you expect of those to sell each month? You get 40 free listings a month, why not use them all, to increase your chances of more sales?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Whilst you are quiet you might take the time to check the Item Specifics in your listings.

I found that once I'd filled in all the gaps (even if I had to put Does Not Apply) my listings suddenly became popular with 10 sales in 1 day after nothing for 2 weeks.

Go figure!

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

It's often quiet this time of year, even in the stores.

People have spent a lot of money for Christmas and they go away and spend time with family and friends.

Then there are the expenses for getting all the kids stuff for school. 

You usually find things start picking up Feb and March when things get back to normal.

I use the term "normal" but with covid it might be a new normal.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply