I need help! Return gone wrong

I recently sold a really expensive lens on EBay, to a US buyer, all seemed good and then 2 weeks after the package was delivered the buyer issued a return request saying the lens was faulty. After issuing the request they didn’t respond to any of my questions to know more about the issue, and eventually just raised a case with EBay. EBay ruled in favour of the buyer, so now I have been charged a full refund for the lens. It’s now been a further two more weeks and I haven’t received the lens. The buyer has not responded to me for over a month now and I don’t think they’re going to send back the lens.

so long story short, I’ve lost a lens (that sold for $1,400) and paid over $300 in eBay fees out of pocket for the sale. 

Im trying desperately to resolve this with both the buyer and eBay but nobody is responding (it’s impossible to reach someone that is a human at eBay) I don’t know how I can resolve this.  Can somebody help? 

otherwise I guess I’ll have to go via VCAT.

thanks in advance for your help everyone. This has been an incredibly stressful process for me.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So I thought I’d provide a follow up since there has been an update on my side.

Unfortunately with eBay it’s almost impossible to get in touch with an actual person who isn’t somebody following a specified script which can’t answer my specific question. It’s an utter waste of time and should honestly be illegal for a company to operate in this fashion. I don’t care how good your service is, you need a channel to handle specific requests. 

So my next avenue was to dispute the direct debit charge with my bank, and through this channel I was successful.

EBay’s policies are allowing scammers to take advantage of honest sellers, and they should honestly be ashamed of themselves and should be civilly persecuted for letting their platform become a willing marketplace to enable these bad actors. I won’t be buying or selling items on eBay in the future as the alternatives are just better and more reliable.

Thanks for everyone’s help on this matter. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

your 'buyer' has had 27 bid retractions in the last 12 months......

Bid history: Bidder details | eBay

what did eBay rule about the return, if anything?

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

was it shipped to Florida?

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

For the other regulars, maybe not an answer to this one,  but wasnt there an almost similiar post to this about 3 or 4 weeks ago, similiar scanario.  Worth checking if same buyer?   Or my memory has gone.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Yes, I remember something that sounds very similar, and very possible the same 'buyer'

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

It 100% feels like this buyer is a scammer taking advantage of eBay’s return policy. I just did a google map search on the property that the lens was sent to and it looks super sketchy (blurred).

I don’t know what to do looks like I’ve lost $1700 on this sale. 😞

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Shipped to Kentucky, USA… 😞

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

There is unfortunately no info as to why they ruled in favour of the buyer. I have a feeling it might have been an automated response. I wrote some very comprehensive notes about my experience with this transaction, and heard nothing back from ebay.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@robbyxie wrote:

There is unfortunately no info as to why they ruled in favour of the buyer. I have a feeling it might have been an automated response. I wrote some very comprehensive notes about my experience with this transaction, and heard nothing back from ebay.

...but nothing about  a return and you paying shipping for the item back????

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

You have done your money and the goods, joys of selling international.  As soon as the buyer opened the case, you had 3 days to resolve the issue, the buyer does not have to answer or prove anything.   As you did not arrange return postage at your cost, then yes, the case is resolved in buyers favor and there is no requirement for them to return the item at their cost.

As far as now getting the item returned at your cost, you are at the mercy of the buyer

Last time I checked,  VCAT had no powers/jurisdiction  in the USA

Yes there was another similar post recently, not unusual as high end camera gear is very attractive to unsavory buyers.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply