I received negative feedback for a transaction that never happened.

Its pretty simple, or so you'd think.

The winning bidder didnt pay me via the method that was stated in the Description, he used PayPal. My Paypal wasnt up and running properly yet, and after some 10 days of his shennanigans, i had to cancel the transaction, no hard feelings etc. Now he leaves me  negative feedback and ebay says thats fine, even though there was no transaction that actually took place. Even the ebay online chat guy said that he could see there was no transaction and therefore the feedback could be removed... sigh.. any thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: I received negative feedback for a transaction that never happened.

With just 12 feedbacks over six months I'd say they are very inexperienced with eBay and probably didn't understand what the go was. There must be so many things to read through when signing up to anything these days and we're all so eager to just get going. Probably just as easy to forget a lot of those specifics also.

Putting someone's address into the public domain like that simply is wrong of course. Hope they got an educational slap on the wrist from eBay support for doing that, as well as the reaction from fellow sellers on here.

I'm curious to know how they got paid for their past sales if they didn't have PayPal setup.

Please come back and let us know what happened!
Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Changed user ID now and no items for sale............hmmm.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

@love_of_cars wrote:
With just 12 feedbacks over six months I'd say they are very inexperienced with eBay and probably didn't understand what the go was. There must be so many things to read through when signing up to anything these days and we're all so eager to just get going. Probably just as easy to forget a lot of those specifics also.

Putting someone's address into the public domain like that simply is wrong of course. Hope they got an educational slap on the wrist from eBay support for doing that, as well as the reaction from fellow sellers on here.

I'm curious to know how they got paid for their past sales if they didn't have PayPal setup.

Please come back and let us know what happened!

I think you're right and it can be hard for newbies to take in all the terms and conditions and people (both buyers & sellers) are sometimes just keen to get started.

But the bit about payment methods would be key, you'd think, if you were wanting to start selling.

You can understand a seller preferring bank deposit. Who wouldn't, what with fees saved and ebay and paypal claims out of the picture. That's not how ebay generally operates any more though.

I am wondering if their past sales have all been via bank deposit. After all, it is how ebay worked back in the early days, as all sales (apart from pick up) were via bank deposit and looking back on it, things very rarely went wrong. 

These days, I prefer paypal for the protection it offers but there may be others who are willing to go down the direct deposit route and looking at the feedback so far received, if those buyers did pay that way, then the seller honoured the purchases.

But the reality these days is most buyers will be a little bit wary (with just cause) and some buyers will disregard the seller's instructions anyway because they know they are entitled to use paypal or similar.

Whichever way you look at it, best for this seller to set up a proper paypal account.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply