I stuffed up - what to do

Ok so in a nutshell 

Customer buys (and pays)  large amount of item that requires a different post cost to normal. (I noramlly wrap and pack - print label and take to the PO - job done)'

So I do the calculations and the buyer has paid to much postage so I pack the order and take the goods to the post office to get correct price and post goods (With tracking) and get the correct amount so I can refund buyer 

All good. I get home and go to do a refund but instead of doing $11 I somehow refunded the whole thing (Had a mate yammering away in the room) 

I sent the buyer an explanation and asked for them to repay. They said yup no problem. That was 3 days ago. I sent another message today but have not had a reply which is to be expected as not veryone is on all day like people like me with no life 😛

So in the event they decide not to pay what are my options??  Just after food for thought 'Just in case' 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If the package is still in transit, you may be able to get it redirected back to you. There's a fee, but probably worth it on a high value order.

Otherwise you would need to send a formal request for repayment like a PayPal invoice and advise the buyer they are legally obligated to repay or return, and that if they do neither, it would be pursued via legal channels.
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I'm not sure how long it takes to see a refund in ones paypal account, but could they be waiting for the refund to arrive, before repaying?

I'm just going way out on a limb here....... 

hope it all works out for you

xxj

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If the payment was funded with a credit or debit card (likely if it was a large amount) the refund goes back to the funding source and may take a few days to show.

It might well be that the buyer is waiting for the funds to show before repaying....you can't really blame them I suppose.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

If you have a My Post account, providing the parcel isn't showing as delivery today, you can intercept it and redirect it to anywhere you like. Redirection adds 2 days (so they say), but you should get it back should they not repay you. If they do repay after you've redirected it you should be able to redirect it back to them. I was not charged to get a parcel redirected. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

If you have a My Post account, providing the parcel isn't showing as delivery today, you can intercept it and redirect it to anywhere you like. Redirection adds 2 days (so they say), but you should get it back should they not repay you. If they do repay after you've redirected it you should be able to redirect it back to them. I was not charged to get a parcel redirected. 

Were you the sender or the recipient when you redirected a parcel?

Redirection via My Post is only supposed to be available on parcels where the personal details of the recipient match the label information (beyond name and address, i.e. the same email address that is on file with the My Post account, or the customer's My Post number. I know that I don't get any alternative delivery options on packages if that info is not part of the shipping label). In which case it would mean that the seller can't use My Post to redirect a parcel, only the recall option - I tried to find the info for this as well as the relevant costs, but can't seem to turn it up in a (quick) search, from memory there's base fee, plus any costs incurred in attempting to intercept the package. 

Interestingly (but probably not surprisingly), AP seem to be indicating parcel redirection for recipients (via My Post) will only be free for a limited time. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I've done one of each. First time as a buyer I got it redirected to Mr Tippy's work because no-one was going to be home all day and I didn't want it sitting in full view of anyone walking past. Second time I redirected it for a buyer. They contacted me asking me to hold off posting as they had a death in the family and had to go interstate. I said it had already been posted, so I got the address of where they'd be and redirected it.

That was in the very early days of My Post. Maybe things are different now. I was not charged for either redirect, it just added a day or 2 on the delivery time.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Maybe they're waiting to make sure they receive it before they pay.

I'm afraid my only experience with posting something before I was paid wasn't a good experience and the buyer never paid, despite promising to do so. I only posted it because I thought someone else's payment was hers (to my bank account).

I'm not sure you'd legally be able to make them pay, seeing you 'voluntarily' refunded them. I'm not saying you definitely wouldn't be able to, just that you 'may' not.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Well it all turned out fine. It took time as paypal did the refund as an echeque even though there was more than enough in my paypal account to cover it (Yea - got a bald spot from scratching my head about that) 

Buyer has now repaid and the goodies delivered. 

Thanks for the input folks.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Kudos to your buyer for being honest enough to repay! It's nice to hear a good story for a change. Glad it all worked out.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply