Giving phone number to buyer.

I don't post my phone number with the itmes I sell.

I get enough request to sell before auction end as it is, the phone number would multiply this requests in my view.

Occasionaly a buyer will ask for my phone number allegedly to ask about the item, but invariably to barter and buy outside ebay and before acution end.

I wonder what others do. Do you give your phone number to a potential buyer just because he asks?

Regards

Marc

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

No. I answer everything through ebay messaging.

I might give my mobile, only for a buyer that has purchased and we are making arrangements for pick up.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Absoutely no way! You don't know what looney might be on the other end. I much prefer a faceless, voiceless transaction. Unless of course, as already mentioned, it's to organise a pick up, but even then, it's usually organised via ebay messages.

I did a local pick up a few months ago. Turned out the seller was around the corner (literally), so I sent a message asking if he would allow local pick up and if so, what time would suit. He said he was going out at about 4.30 and wouldn't be home until 7.30, so I walked around just after 4pm. No phone numbers were exchanged, there was no need. Obviously he had to give me his address, but he also had mine in case I turned out to be an axe murderer.

The delivery I did last Saturday, the buyer wasn't sure where she was going to be when I wanted to deliver, so she sent me her number (even though I already had access to it from the invoice) and I sent her a text message as I was leaving work. I would never give out my number because someone wanted to ask a question. I much prefer it to be done via eBay messaging so at least I have a record of any conversations (as does eBay).

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I have a silent number so I'm not about to give it to anyone. My only communication is by ebay message or occasionally email
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

when a buyer and seller are in a transaction, then all they need to do is to clik on the contact link and ebay will email their phone number to you and also send them your number.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

No way!

They could be anybody!

If you worked in a B&M you wouldn't just go handing out your personal info to random strangers.

Once a buyer commits to purchase an item off you, they have access to contact info, but not before.

even then, I would be doing as much as possible through eBay messages, cos if anyth8ing goes pearshaped, there is a record of all communication.

eBay can't use anything that is not derrived from your messages in eBay.

They won't even hook up a discussion in PayPal, or accept an email.

They only accept info that goes through your ebay message system.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

If you worked in a B&M you wouldn't just go handing out your personal info to random strangers.

That would depend how tall, dark and handsome he was (a look of wealth and impaired vision would help too) LOL

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

true LOL

I never thought of that!

hahahaha

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

"Once a buyer commits to purchase an item off you, they have access to contact info, but not before"

A buyer only has to place a bid and they can request a seller's contact details.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

About your privacy

Because your privacy is important to us, you can request contact information only for members who are involved in your current or recent transactions.

Buyers can request contact information for a seller if they're:
An active bidder on a listing that hasn't ended yet
The winning buyer of an ended listing

Sellers can request contact information for:
An active bidder on a listing that hasn't ended yet
The winning buyer of an ended listing

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/contact.html
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply