Giving phone number to buyer.

I don't post my phone number with the itmes I sell.

I get enough request to sell before auction end as it is, the phone number would multiply this requests in my view.

Occasionaly a buyer will ask for my phone number allegedly to ask about the item, but invariably to barter and buy outside ebay and before acution end.

I wonder what others do. Do you give your phone number to a potential buyer just because he asks?

Regards

Marc

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Thank you for that, true, giving out contact info to somoenone who has not placed a bid yet is asking for trouble.

One more:

What about reuqest to inspect the item?

I sell machinery from time to time and do get the odd request to inspect the item but since I work at home, I try to avoid them like the plague. 

I don't list "welcome to inspect" on the item, can I refuse inspection until the successful bidder is known? 

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@silversterio2 wrote:

"Once a buyer commits to purchase an item off you, they have access to contact info, but not before"

A buyer only has to place a bid and they can request a seller's contact details.

placing a bid is a committment to buy.

It is a legal offer, one which can be accepted, rejected or withdrawn at any time prior to actuial acceptance, but nonetheless, it is a commitment to buy.

A person who places a bid has formally displayed by performance that they are prepared to enter into negotiation for a contract of sale.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@2bargainhunter wrote:

Thank you for that, true, giving out contact info to somoenone who has not placed a bid yet is asking for trouble.

One more:

I sell machinery from time to time and do get the odd request to inspect the item but since I work at home, I try to avoid them like the plague. 

I don't list "welcome to inspect" on the item, can I refuse inspection until the successful bidder is known? 

personal choice - advantagesd and disadvantages

so yes you can refuse inspection to any person you like, a bidder or a non bidder.

But you may then face an increased chance of an unsatisfied buyer either refusing to take away the item after sale on inspection (as they are allowed to do) or returning it anyway if it is a delivered item.

So that's for you to decide what risks you are prepared to take, what priority you place on privacy etc vs how much you want the sale.

which side of your pro/con list is longer?

That's where you will find the answer.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

@2bargainhunter wrote:

One more:

I think it depends on the item.    As a buyer, if I wanted to bid on a piece of machinery that was more than say $100, I would definitely ask to inspect the item before bidding.  

As a seller of such an item, I would allow inspections.

But best to do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

We gave our mobile number to a person who wanted I have a look at a $10 mirror  and we were kicked off eBay for a week and our seller status was downgraded. The guy decided not to come anyway. 

So now I want to sell a big item, and I would expect people to come and have a look - so what to do???

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

There are suggestions of taking a photo of phone number or address and sending it as an attachment in a message.

Or 0hiding 4the 1number 4in a message etc.

image host
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Or writing the numbers in full "oh" four five seven six one four five five nine. If the bots stop it sending, put "and" between the words. If they still stop it, but each word number in brackets (oh) and (one) and (four) and (seven) etc.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

If you put 'cm' as in measurements after every two or three numbers, that works too.
Message 18 of 18
Latest reply