I think I am being scammed, please help.

I listed a watch on eBay for $1500, a buyer with 0 feedback tried to approach me for the purchase, after talking to him, I feel the buyer is reasonable and sold my watch to him. But I am quite careful when doing business with people with 0 feedback. The buyer is from the US, before the item arrived, I sent him a message asking him to check the delivery while the postman is there, if there is any issue get back to me straight away. Turns out he was not home while the postman was delivering the item, and he asked the postman to left the watch at reception.

I have just been contacted by the buyer told me the watch has issues that not been described in my advertisement, and the watch is not functioning. I have checked the watch before I post it out, I know and love watches if I am not in financial difficulty, I would not put it on sale. I am confident the watch is in great condition, without any issues.

So I feel like what I have been worried has come true, this buyer is trying to scam me. I never have this kind experience, but heard eBay always on the buyer side, some buyer even sent back empty box, papers for the refund, return with a different watch, or take the movement out of the watch, and return the case back. 

Please tell me what should I do, how should I handle this, I did purchase the insurance for the shipping if the buyer can prove the watch is damaged on arrival, can I claim the insurance?

Should I accept the return? If I do I will lose 200 for the postage, and I don't know what I will receive.

I can relay on eBay against this kind of scam from 0 feedback buyer?

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

What does the buyer say is wrong with the watch?   Is there a problem that can be photographed?

For a start, ask for a photo of the watch and the packaging if the buyer says it was damaged in the mail.

Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

Was the watch sold off eBay ?

image host
Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

Just checked kopes,sold on ebay,I think OP took a big risk selling the watch to this buyer.

OP says that they're an experienced seller so they should have seen this coming a mile away and not sold the watch to this buyer even if they're in financial difficulty.

Definately being scammed and I just hope it all turns out well for OP but I have a feeling it will end badly.

Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

Reads like the buyer is angling for a discount. 

Personally, i'd request the item be returned in the same packaging it was sent in, with you offering a full refund upon receipt of the same watch that was sent inline with eBay policies.

When you have the watch back - lodge an insurance claim. you will have to prove your item was properly packaged and wasn't broken prior to sending.

Don't be rude to the buyer, keep your messages short and to the point.

Do not attack the buyers morals / ethics.

You either want your watch back or the buyer to accept the item. Do not give them any ammunition to take to eBay which will leave him with your watch and your money.

Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

Going by the way some sellers have been scammed in the past I'll bet if the watch gets returned that it won't be the same watch and seriously a zero feedback buyer just out of the blue purchases a $1500 watch,not in my books lol.

Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

At this point in time - where exactly is the scam ??

Buyer has received the watch and claims it is not functioning ......

Other than that we don't know what dialogue has taken place between buyer and seller; other than seller panicking she "thinks" she is being scammed .......

Wouldn't it be more prudent to get the watch back first ??

Just saying ......

Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

I think claiming the buyer as a "scammer" is a dead end. You can't prove anything and neither PayPal or eBay will side with you.

I personally had 1 case of good experience with AusPost compensation. I lodged it online, and actually got someone calling me on my phone. Then a few weeks later, they sent me a money order as compensation. In my case it's item lost ($50 value), but since they do cover for item damaged and they actually have people calling you trying to work things out. It's worth a try.

Watches are delicate items. Of course they can get damaged internally in transport across the pacific.  If insurances can't cover this case, what's point then?

So personally I recon, lodging a case with AustPost and claim insurance is the best option. Even if you get it worked out later on eBay side (although unlikely) you can alsways inform AusPost and close the case. AusPost also has a community forum and you can ask your question there too.

Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

At this point the way I see it is you really only have two options.

1. Refund fully and the buyer keeps the item.

2. Accept the return and provide a return postage paid label so the buyer has to send the watch back before they get their refund.

Option 1 you may not wish to do.

With option 2 you are not guraranteed to receive back what you sent out. This is a tough one to battle/prove with ebay.

So it depends, to some extent,  upon how much info was in your original listing.

Were all defects/flaws declared and/or pictured, no matter how insignificant?

Did the watch have a serial number? If so, was it displayed in one of the listing pics?

Did you have some kind of service certificate from an independent jeweller to say it was working an a certain date?

Did you record the shipiing weight of the parcel you send out?

How well was it packaged for shipping?

Did you declare the correct value of the watch on the customs paperwork? This can affect any insurance clam.

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

Agree with you but the buyer is in USA so seller unable to provide postage label.  I tend to think more to this than we have been advised.

Message 10 of 54
Latest reply