INAD - four months after sale.

I received an email from Paypal two days ago which stated that:

"A buyer has sent you a message regarding the payment that was made to you on 16 July 2020. The buyer indicated that the item received is different from your original description. Please respond to your buyer to resolve this before 12 December 2020.

The buyer has also requested a refund of $27.20 AUD. If you agree to this request, the case will be closed once the refund has been processed".

The ebay ID of the buyer was not provided, nor was there any indication of the item purchased, and it took a little bit of detective work to asscertain what item was involved. My Paypal records didn't go back that far, and it was only because I keep a copy of the order details was I able to find out what the item was - a fairly simple electric can opener.

In the Paypal email, the buyer wrote: "it was meant to be a new item but after i bought and paid for it the seller told me she couldnt "confirm it even worked" and upon trying it myself it is in fact not working at all. completely useless and if i knew before buying it there was doubts on it working i would never have paid a premium for the product or even bought it at all".

I sent an email to the buyer the day the item was sent that stated "I tried to test the can opener before posting, but discovered it doesn't work with cans that have a ring pull (I think because they must be of thicker material). And I didn't have any cans without a ring pull to test it on. However, the motor certainly worked so I hope you have success with opening cans. Thank you for your purchase".

I would expect that the buyer upon receiving the item would test it on the type of can he wished to open. If it didn't work, then would expect him to request a return. But not four months later.

On receiving the PP email, I replied to the buyer: "Can I ask why it has taken 4 months to decide it 'doesn't work'? Have you actually used it in that time?" I have not had a reply two days later.

My concern is that he has successfully used the opener for several months, and now has decided it 'doesn't work', otherwise why wait so long to submit a INAD?

What should I do? Roll over and just refund his payment, which really just allows an unscrupulous buyer the opportunity to claim something was INAD without any proof. Should I request return of the item before refunding?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: INAD - four months after sale.

@curraone wrote:

wow, don't forget to block him.

Done.

Message 11 of 11
Latest reply