If it ain't broke ......

jvdv
Community Member

There is an old and very wise saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it...." but it seems eBay can't help themselves. 

So frustrating, email after email telling me my bank a/c will be charged for this and that and then another telling me of a deposit and then more emails for more postage, etc.  And now a change of format in these discussion forums. Think I'll try Gumtree - even though I think it's owned by eBay :-{

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If it ain't broke ......

I hope I get used to it, they are hard to navigate at first, but then every thing new is.

The fact that this area is so quiet certainly suggest new members with relevant questions are finding hard and that is a shame

BTW eBay sold Gumtree in July last year

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

If it ain't broke ......

@jvdv, I know that these froums are now considerably harder to navigate, and that it must be making a frustrating circumstance even more difficult.

I hope we can manage in spite of it.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If it ain't broke ......

I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle as I have been away a couple of days and have come back to newly formatted boards.

Perhaps things took a few hours or a day or so to settle or get rid of glitches, but I am not finding the boards harder to navigate at all. They are just more spread out looking.

I am on a computer, if that makes a difference. I can access via a phone but find it a much more tedious process compared to a computer.

The major change is just not having the 'at a glance' capability to see most of the recent topics. I can only see a handful now and have to scroll, everything is just bigger, roomier I guess.

Maybe it is just me but there also seem to be dozens more newbies posting, maybe the boards are more visible?

The one thing I can't see any longer is how many posts any member has made on the forums. I suppose all that got deleted with the changeover but it isn't a feature on the new boards, by the looks of things.

I wonder if they introduced anything useful, eg a lock on threads over 12 months old, to make them read only.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If it ain't broke ......

No lock on old threads, but responding to them does not move them any more, so to read responses you'd have to go searching which in my opinion is freaking fantastic.

If there are threads you want to access easily, you can search them and then once you open them you can pin them - top RHS Options - Float this for current user.

I actually like the fact you can just click on Answer Centre or Discussions and see ALL rather than having to open Buying then Selling etc.

I actually like the new forum, although many long term posters with long term threads are not happy with them

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

If it ain't broke ......

Finding this whole thing very white and scrolly but I'm trying to get with the program! I wonder if I could get compensation for RSI!

eBay has 44% share in Gumtree still so that must be why they offer free listings from GT 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply