Incorrect postcode

Hi All, just wondering if anyone has had issues with ioncorrect postcodes being given on addresses? I went to mail out an item on Thursday only to be told that the postcode given by the buyer did not relate to the poscode on the Aust Post system. I have tried contacting the buyer (who may be on Easter Hols) with no response. Should I just let it run and wait for a response or contact eBay and let them know that the issue is with the buyer? Cheers, Dave

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Incorrect postcode

Google the town/suburb name and put the correct postcode on the package. Simple!

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

if the buyer had given me a suburb name that shows up I would have.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

What did they give you? A street name and post code?

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

Could it be a new estate/development so a new 'suburb' within a suburb ...if you know what I mean

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

If the buyer doesn't get back to you within the next couple of days just go to eBay chat and have on record that you are waiting for the correct addy from buyer so you don't get dinged for late posting.

I did that recently and eBay automatically removed the late defect as my handling is 1-2 days.

image host
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

Wrong address is pretty common.

First thing first, if you send the parcel with tracking to the address the buyer gives on their purchase, no matter how wrong it is, then ebay/PayPal will always side with you if the parcel gets returned.

In your case, you have sent the buyer a question. If they don't reply within your handling time and you keep waiting for them, then you will get a defect by ebay for not sending within the handling time. What I usually do in this situation is to give them a time limit, something like "Let me know if your given address is wrong by 2pm Tuesday. If I do not get a reply by then I will send the parcel to the given address as it is my contract with ebay.".

Spoiler
Yes, the buyer can give you an unfair neg, but at least you won't be out of money.

EDIT: Just saw kopes' reply, so ebay can remove the defect. 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

Does anything come up if you just google the street number and name, perhaps also along with the state?

I find that quite often, the buyer gets a suburb or postcode incorrect, just limiting it to the street and state gets an accurate search result. Aus Post's system is also fairly imperfect, unfortunately. So many times I can't get a match from what the buyer gives me, but it still comes up in a search, so I have to manually enter the info as that often overrides the error given by the auto-search and fill. 

Otherwise I agree with the others, in giving the buyer a time limit to respond. I usually opt for cancelling the order if there seems to be a problem with the address and I can't confirm the correct one, because otherwise you risk sending it and it never arriving, which will see an INR request through eBay decided in the buyer's favour if one gets opened, and with no guarantee of the package making its way back to you (there's an option to select when you cancel an order that says something like "there's a problem with the buyer's address"). 

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

It always amazes me that people buy online and fail to put their correct/complete address. How does one not know where they live?

I know it's inconsequential in most cases, but I also hate when people put obviously fake names. If you don't want to be identified for some reason, put initials and a surname, or something. I've always assumed that the name could/would matter if there was a dispute. I once had a buyer who put their name as "Kitty Cat" and when I asked for their real, complete name, they replied with "Fine. It's Pink Kitty Cat." Smiley Mad

(I'm pretty cranky this morning).

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Incorrect postcode

Oh indeed, don't get me started

When I very first started selling I had one with a fake name (I foget, it was Doggy something or other) and then just the suburb

Apparently they must be known by everyone in the postal system (in their own mind at least) 

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply