Interesting Change of Mind return request

A buyer of a used music CD has successfully lodged a change of mind return request stating on the request that he has "ripped the CD to his ipod nano so no longer needs it".  I have COM returns accepted with buyer pays postage and he has provided eBay a tracking number for the retrun postage.  I guess I will refund the purchace price if the item is returned in the same condition as sent but it just seems wrong that eBay automatically accept a change of mind request like this. Views would be appreciated.

The other interesting thing is the cost of his return trackable post would be more than the refund he will receive on the purchace price.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Well if he has copied the cd onto the device, then he has purchased and is using the music regardless of needing the cd hence wouldn't qualify for a return.

That return I suspect is illegal in many ways including against eBay policy.

The cheek and stupidity of it astounds me.

I would call eBay during business hours.

image host
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

it's outright theft!!!
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

When you get the CD back, please remember to put this buyer on your blocked list. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the same stunt again.
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Consider changing your COM policy to manual not automatic.  In this situation with that buyers reason I would decline the request with an appropriate response.  He's simply scamming you and possibly other sellers to build a much cheaper music library... suggest you report him as well as eBay are losing their cut too and they won't like that either.

"You can only decline a return if the buyer is returning the item because they changed their mind, and your return policy stated you don't accept returns".

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@jfmgray wrote:

The other interesting thing is the cost of his return trackable post would be more than the refund he will receive on the purchace price.

Was it an eBay Plus purchase? If so, ebay are paying for the return costs and the buyer will receive a full refund (since only "free post" listings can qualify for Plus now). 

Personal opinion? The buyer is a / an (insert preferred unpleasant noun here), and the fact that they are completely unashamed about what they're doing would be quite galling (it's the same as all the fashion buyers who wear something to an event, then want to return). 

Unfortunately, change of mind returns mean the reason for the return is irrelevant, and by accepting returns, all COM return requests are automatically approved by eBay on your behalf, so the only way to stop people from abusing it is to not accept returns. 😞 

I agree about reporting the buyer, though - this is a blatant abuse of the return system, because the buyer is effectively keeping the item - there are also copyright / licensing issues at play in this kind of situation. 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Was it an eBay Plus purchase? If so, ebay are paying for the return costs and the buyer will receive a full refund (since only "free post" listings can qualify for Plus now). 

I have Ebay plus and I am still purchasing items that are not free post - maybe the items were listed prior to this new rule

e.g. this purchased 26/1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kenji-Nagini-Short-Sleeve-Tee/392456980344?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT...

EDIT: I see in the seller's info it says that Ebay may exempt sellers from one or more of the criteria at Ebay's discretion

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@the4masters2013 wrote:
When you get the CD back, please remember to put this buyer on your blocked list. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the same stunt again.

Just put them on your following list so that their ID shows and others can put them on their Block buyers list.good.gif

I would also contact eBay and let them know that it's not a true change of mind return.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@cezm wrote:

EDIT: I see in the seller's info it says that Ebay may exempt sellers from one or more of the criteria at Ebay's discretion

Probably just for larger sellers like the one in your link (they may even be subsidising the cost with eBay to get the badge on non-free post listings). It's definitely free post for the average seller / business, or at least AFAIK, as eBay are hardcore campaigning for sellers to have Plus listings at the moment (had an argument with a rep who called me to try and convince me I'm losing tons of sales because my items aren't free post and don't qualify for Plus Smiley LOL and I know of several other sellers who got the same phone call). 

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

"Was it an eBay Plus purchase? If so, ebay are paying for the return costs and the buyer will receive a full refund (since only "free post" listings can qualify for Plus now)". 

Not an eBay Plus - only my new items get the badge. So he would have paid for return postage label which would cost more than the refund he will receive - go figure!!

Yes I will report him to eBay but I fully expect to refund once the item is returned in good order - no dramas there as I can relist for the same price.  But hopefully eBay will taike some action against the buyer. BTW it was only his second purchase.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply