International postage. Anybody using Standard for their sales?

Hi.

I have been offering Express only for my international sales since April. This has been for the obvious reason of lengthy delivery times.

The side effect has been a sharp drop in the number of such sales, due to the cost.

Has anyone have a good idea of actual delivery times using Standard? I do not believe Oz Post estimates. My sales are primarily to The UK, France, US and Canada.

BTW. I am in Melbourne, which probably adds an additional delay.

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: International postage. Anybody using Standard for their sales?

I had to stop selling to the US, pretty well my only market, when the cheap option for large letters was dropped at the beginning of the pandemic.  A few days ago my post office people said it had been restored for the UK and a few other markets, not the US, and everything would be reviewed in the New Year.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

I use to send DVDs/CDs/cassettes letter rate before the virus. This was fine but hardly ever arrived before one month, and lucky to arrive on or before Estimated delivery, and it was always stressful knowing a new case would be coming up. The upside was that delivery was cheap and I made a lot of sales. Since the virus, i have used only standard, meaning much, much less sales as price has gone from 9 to upto 30 per item for int. post. Sendle are good, but their prices seem to fluctuate based on australia posts current rates and services and when offering free post there is always a chance that someone will buy from a rural locale which sendles fees are exorbitant at times. 

For 500 gram parcels, not that much has changed but about 20% increase in price. Although parcels sent with standard get there on time almost every time so they definetly prioritise standard over economy. I will likely be staying with standard for parcels, and need to consider weather to keep sending economy letters for 125 gram or under. Having to negotiate with buyers regarding delayed parcels is troublesome and many do not respond at all leaving you not knowing whether you will get a strike. For professionality, i think standard is better (a courier is equivalent to standard as they always track) but for profit economy wins. I find it similar to using free post - free post means you are protected if you are part of ebay plus (more professional) but lower sales (due to price increase, for me anyway).

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

I have never used express. But will consider using it for higher priced items, or as an option atleast. What are the benefits of express and do people pay for express for low price items? If not, what price does your item have to be to justify international express?

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

benifiets of express:

tracking

updates by email

sig by buyer at other end

supposedly faster post times

Most do not want express because of the cost but you can get tracking.. and sig on delivery as an extra $5.50

Dave

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Some will pay express for items as low as $30, so they are paying more for the postage than the item.

The one and only benefit of express is the reliability of speedy delivery.

My international sales have gone from near half of turnover to more like 20%. But no hassles with customers.

Looking forward to going back to Standard.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply