International registered letters

saarzi
Community Member

Can I send clothes as international registered LETTER? (yes, it fits within the measurements).

Can I send an international registered letter in my OWN envelope?  (only refers to PO envelopes on the website, but doesnt specifically say you cant use your own).

I know you cant send clothes as an express letter within Australia, so I just wanted to check.

My PO says I can do BOTH the above, but honestly, shes an idiot and keeps giving me the wrong info.

(I know about how international registered isnt tracked online, doesnt require signature blah blah, thats not the info Im after).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Your first question is open to interpretation, it doesn't actually say that letters have to be documents, but some PO staff interpret it that way and will disallow other items.  You can but try. 

Your second question is easier, no you can't use your own envelopes for International Registered, it has to be the prepaid one from the PO.  I tried that last week.

Bear in mind, there is no tracking on International Registered, although they do have to sign for it at the other end.  What use that is if it can't be tracked, I don't know, I guess you would have to ask for the signature if the customer claimed not to have received it.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Basically, no. (The website says they can be used for letters and documents - a document, by APs definition, doesn't have to be paper, it has to contain reproducable data, so CDs, SD cards, USB sticks all count as documents. It also says they can be dropped in a red box, which is not allowed for anything other than letters / documents).

It's cheaper to send Pack & Track or as a registered parcel, at least to the US (due to the only size available larger than DL is B4, and that's $22.90, while P&T / reg'd is $21.10, might've been cheaper to a Euro country though).  

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you both, I figured there was a reason I wasnt already doing it! 🙂

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I used to send pack and track and always had trouble with them - people saying they didnt turn up regularly. They were rarely tracked properly, and only in some countries etc, it was a pain dealing with it.

Since using registered, Ive NEVER had a package go missing (touch wood). To be honest, I think its more of a psych to any buyer that might consider claiming it didnt turn up when it actually did, when they are asked for a signature - its more formal (which as far as I know, most of mine have been asked for one).

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply