Interstate buyer for pickup-only item paid but failed to arrange courier pickup and opened dispute

We listed a large expensive item for auction and pickup only.  An interstate bidder asked if she could have a courier pick up the item if she was successful.  We agreed.  She later paid and told us she would arrange a courier.  We packaged the item, gave her its dimensions and mass and waited for the courier.  After 17 days waiting for the courier we tried to help by sending her a shipping quote from the local Post Office.  Her immediate response was to lodge a dispute with eBay claiming we had failed to deliver the item.  She had not asked us for a refund, which we would have been prepared to do.   In responding to eBay the only avenues open to us on the eBay Web page were to either send a copy of a dispatch receipt or admit that we had received payment and refused to send the item.  There was no provision  covering our circumstance of the buyer failing to arrange agreed courier pickup.  It was a "heads we lose and tails they win" arrangement.

We feel that the eBay dispute resolution process allows buyers who belatedly change their minds to unfairly inconvenience sellers who have acted in good faith.  In our case we waited 17 days expecting a courier who never arrived.  eBay refunded her money in full.  We lost the 12% eBay commission and were charged a further dispute fee of $22.  We believe it is unfair of eBay to retain the commission on a sale that has been cancelled by the buyer.  Sellers need to be aware of this anomaly when listing items for pickup.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Interstate buyer for pickup-only item paid but failed to arrange courier pickup and opened dispute

Buyers cannot cancel transactions.

The mistake was waiting 17 days.

No courier after 5 days? Cancel the transaction and get all your money back.

It would have been obvious by that point that the buyer had changed their mind and in fact you could  have cancelled.

Ebay doesn't keep the commission - if the buyer is refunded, all fees are returned (other than the 30c fixed fee).

As far as I'm aware Ebay only charges a dispute fee in the event that the seller does not respond to the case in a timely manner and the buyer has initiated a chargeback with their bank.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Cancel. Use the 'problem with buyer's address' option.

Block the 'buyer'.

In future don't even entertain 'buyers' who claim they will arrange a courier for pickup items.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Dave... can the OP cancel if an INR case has been opened?

Perhaps the better option would be a refund through the case?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Point.

I am inexperienced in INR cases, in that I've never had a valid one. I'm sure I will get one eventually. None in 5000 is probably pushing it.

I'd still try to cancel with buyer is a dh. If unsuccessful, I would reluctantly refund, taking the fee hit. And learn the lesson that large pickup items are not subject to buyers allegedly organising couriers. Especially after 17 days.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

No they can't cancel, they just need to refund.

Seriously don't know why this is a post anyway, item not collected refund the buyer dispute closed. Move on, unless OP wants to hold onto the money...

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I’ve sent plenty of stuff via courier for buyers. (Not eBay… I don’t sell here anymore) 

Ive always packed up the item and dropped it off at the courier warehouse. Given them the buyer details and phone number, the courier calls the buyer and arranges payment over the phone, then it’s in their hands. 
I’ve got a slip to say it’s been handed over to the courier and it includes weight and measurements, date and time.. 

I’ve NEVER had a courier pick up an item from my house. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

A friend of mine who is a regular seller on ebay had this exact same sort of thing happen just a few weeks back. In his case, the item wasn't huge but it was pick up only, the buyer was local and set a day/ time for pick up from a warehouse but the very next day opened a dispute to claim item not received (which they won automatically and seller was given a defect and not refunded fees)

He contacted ebay chat to no avail so he contacted ebay chat once again the next day or so and this time the decision was reversed. The buyer still had the full refund of course, but ebay refunded the seller the full cost of the item as well, which was much more than he expected them to do, he was only after his fees back.

His was only a smallish item and I can't see ebay doing the same for you with an expensive sale, but if you persist and contact ebay chat and point out it was a pick up only item, hopefully they will see reason and at least refund your fees. Ask them to look at the messages as that will show you acted in good faith.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I thought it was also possible to add messages to disputes (a message where you could have explained the circumstances), but if this is not the case (and the dispute is now closed anyway) you can always contact them via live chat. You won't get the buyer's money back of course, but if you explain the circumstances you should get fees and commission back - I cannot guarantee this, but you really should. They also have access to messages, so they can check themselves that the buyer had said they would organize for a courier to pick up the item.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

As soon as a buyer files a dispute you have 3 business days to respond. All you need to do is refund them. there will be no defect and no fees lost besides the 30c.

I don't understand why a seller wants to keep the money if the buyer does not collect.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply