Interstate buyer wants mate to pick up-should I be concerned?

I listed two camping chairs stating local pick-up only in Melbourne as the goods are bulky. A buyer in West Australia bought and paid for the chairs, and then asked me to ship interstate at his expense. I declined to do that. He now suggests he will get a mate to pick up the goods. Something about this does not feel right. Why would someone in WA bid on local pick-up only goods in Melbourne, Victoria, and then have a mate pick them up. I suspect it would cost more than the original cost of the two chairs to ship them to WA. How can I verify the "mate" and what is to stop the buyer claiming they never received the goods?  Advice appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I am in NSW... I have had a mate pick up several items for me in Victoria.... I sent them funds & they paid cash on collection.  When I visited I collected the items.

As long as your buyer's mate pays cash I would say yes.... but ONLY if they pay CASH.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Usually if an item is specifically listed for pickup, the buyer will get a 6 digit code and a QR code. When they come to pick up, you as the seller, will use the Ebay app to scan/enter these codes which then serve as notification that the items have been collected.

The buyer should have received these codes in their messages, so they can just forward them to the person who is going to pick them up. Don't let the items go without entering the codes - inform the buyer of the process and that you cannot let the goods go without it.

@repentatleisure - the OP mentioned that the goods were already paid for, so the method above needs to be used.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I did miss the payment.... the OP does have an out.

If I was still selling I know what I would do.

Cash only on collection thanks.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you for your help. NSW and Victoria I can understand, but pick up in Melbourne for someone in WA I'm struggling with. The problem is the buyer has already paid for the goods via the bank payment system that ebay now uses. Ebay have notified me that the goods have been paid for. 
I also don't feel comfortable having some unknown pick up from my home. At least of the buyer was picking up, their identity is known. Would asking for the name of the person picking up and then asking for photo ID when they collect be appropriate?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you so much for your answer. It was most helpful. I don't have a good feeling about this, so your detailed answer allows me to reply to the buyer and then gauge their response. Much appreciated. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

yes, just photograph their driver's license

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Not sure if camping chairs would set off alarm bells for me. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply