Is courier pick up request scam safe?

I have a buyer asking about a local pickup only item, and wants to send a courier to collect it. This is ringing a few alarm bells because...

The item is large and heavy, and not especially valuable, $400 brand new, $150-200 expected sale price on ebay, so it seems courier shipping from Sydney to Brisbane is going to make this almost the cost of a brand new unit.

The QLD/NSW borders are closed due to COVID so it won't get through any time soon anyway.

Couriers "faling to deliver" an item prompting an automatic paypal refund seems to be a favourite ebay scam.

On the other hand the seller has 100% positive feedback.

If I demand bank transfer cleared before the item is collected (or cash in hand from the courier driver) only, and don't allow paypal, is there anyway they could scam to get the money back, if they were a scammer?

Cheers

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You can't demand that they pay via bank transfer and the courier driver would never be handling cash on behalf of a buyer.

Personally, I would not sell the item to this buyer as you will have no tracking number, or any kind of proof that you can show to Ebay that the item has been sent/delivered.

Buyer needs to come and pay you cash directly - you do not want any type of Paypal payment as again, the buyer can claim non-receipt and you won't have a leg to stand on.

All buyers have 100% positive feedback as they can only get green dots - has been that way for more than 10 years.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Cheers for the response. I may remove paypal from the list so that the only options are bank transfer or cash.  Paypal seems a liability to me.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Not having a safe payment method is not allowed, either.

Paypal is the only one these days, so you won't be able to list without using it (unless you're on Managed Payments).

If all your items are pickup, then it might pay to look at other sites. You don't really need the global reach of eBay if you're targetting a local market.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I don't think you can remove PP - you have to have at least one "safe" option for buyers. The only thing you can do is to either:

1) Tell the buyer that unfortunately you do not feel comfortable handing the item over to a courier. They will need to come and pay for it and that if they do pay via Paypal, you will simply refund and cancel the order (use 'problem with buyers address' if you have to cancel)

2) Alternatively, just block the buyer if you don't want the hassle.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks, I have messaged the buyer, and told him am am looking into it and will get back to him.  See what he says, and hopefully someone more local will put a bid in.

Cheers for your input

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Buyers who arrange collection themselves of pickup items via courier are not covered by the MBG, or PayPal Buyer Protection, however you would be vulnerable if a chargeback was raised (unless you could somehow acquire proof of delivery / handover). 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply