Is it even legal to charge a final valuation fee on postage ?

I use other platforms for selling as Ebay is not so popular in Australia anymore. I tried them again this week and it confirmed why i stopped i sold an item and on the postage fee Ebay has charged a final valuation fee. I do not even know if this is legal to do in Australia being they are not the transporting company or the seller. looks like i will only be buying from ebay and i feel sorry for all you people selling on here.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The FVF on postage has been in force for long enough that if it was not legal ebay would have been taken to task before now.

Maybe the reason you were not too successful as a seller has something to do with the negative feedback you were receiving when you were selling.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I print my own labels and get a discount on the postage for doing so, this almost covers the FVF on postage. Like any service, if you want to use it, you have to pay the fees.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

"i feel sorry for all you people selling on here."

No need to....savvy sellers build all fees into the price of their items.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

As you haven't sold for a long time on ebay you will also have your funds on hold for 21 days.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Are you paid by ebay ? What are you talking about successful ? previously when we delt with ebay we had no problems selling. did you even read all that i said or just absorbed what you wanted too.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I understand using a service and paying fees but i am not using ebay to post, i am taking my item to the post office and posting it. This is why i am unhappy with the fee.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

they hold your funds for 21 days ? why.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@markdivevic wrote:

they hold your funds for 21 days ? why.

Because in eBay's eyes you're classified as a new seller since you haven't sold anything for over a year.

That does not mean that you can hold the sold item until the funds are cleared.

This from another thread on selling :-

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

eBay employees have pink borders around their names.

It is, however, common for people to accuse members of working for eBay when they don't get the answer they want.

To summarise -

eBay provide a postage service, therefore eBay, according to the Federal Government and the ACCC, can charge FVFs on postage. Whether sellers avails themselves of said postage service is irrelevant to eBay (and the Government and the ACCC). This was all debated to death years ago when the charges were introduced.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply