Is this a glitch or is Ebay stopping contact with buyers?

I have a regular buyer who bought from me tonight, and who runs an Australian and a British address depending on where he is bidding. When he buys multiple items, I contact him to ask him to let me know when he has changed back to the Australian address so I can change the combined postage. As usual tonight, I have hit the contact buyer link on an auction, but I have been redirected to my received messages. I will be able to go through past messages and reply to one to continue, but if this is a new policy, it means that I can not communicate with any buyer who has not previously / recently sent me a message. I don't know if it is now considered inappropriate, but I contact all buyers when I have received payment and packed the parcel, and advise them that payment has arrived and when the parcel will be sent, and estimated postage time (and to allow for random delays in the postal system).

Is this a change in policy to stop buyers developing any relationship with sellers, and thus discourage off Ebay sales, or is this a glitch?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Not quite your scenario, but I contacted one of my sellers today for the first time and they were able to message me back without a problem.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks. I have worked out that I can make contact with buyers from a drop down box in my Ebay, but I can no longer (or not currently if it is a glitch) contact them from the actual auction page.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, this is what is happening for me too. Another time-consuming, infuriating glitch!! Plus now Promoted listings have stuffed up in every browser!!

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, yes it happened overnight. This week in fact. As I always message buyers after I post their item as a courtesy. Hit 'contact buyer' and it repeatedly took me to messages.  I had to go to their feedback page and contact them that way by clicking on their ID. A bit convoluted and very annoying. It certainly points in the direction of not communicating with customers...jilly

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Jillywinkle,

If you go to your sold items in MyEbay you will have a little thing at left of each completed listing, that if you click on it, has a drop down. You will find contact buyer in that, and that one does let you contact the buyer directly - at least it's much easier than contacting them through the feedback link and, I assume, putting in the item number.

Cheers, Kevin

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I simply can't contact ebay to complain about two shonky sellers!!!

I've tried 8 or 9 times but just end up in a dead end.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Friday is still eBay fiddle day, lots of glitches

But you do not need to contact eBay about the dodgy sellers you bought from

The first one, beyond shocking feedback - 95.3% for a high volume seller

The other seller almost as bad at 96%

Both have many many negs

I'd be hitting the back button quick smart

If what you were sent does not match what you bought, open and follow through with item not as described disputes

There is no need to contact eBay to do that

The 96% seller is registered in China, so eBay will not touch them in any case

You have the option to check feedback before you buy, and not support such shonky sellers at all

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply