Item Not Received request for an item they returned

We received an item today returned in an envelope with no communication at all.

The envelope has a personalised return address sticker on the back with the buyers name & address.

We then tonight received an "Item Not Received Request" for it and that they want a refund.

It is an old 1936 PMG Pay scale letter & graph which I assume they photocopied and then returned.

How can they be stupid enough to claim it was not received after sending it back with their own sticker and postmarked from their suburb.

Another defect from Ebay for this idiotic system.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There are a limited number of reasons for returning items....no matter which one the buyer chose it would be a lie.

Just be thankful you did get it back and can sell it again.

And thank your lucky stars that they have told you the reason through ebay messages.  If they do leave yoiu a neg you can probably have it removed now that they have admitted to lying.

This sort of buyer may be a pain in the proverbial but they end up cutting their own throats.  Just ride it out and use their messages to your advantage.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Lyndal - the problem with the buyer claiming item not received is that the seller is automatically issued with a defect by ebay.

If they had chosen one of the buyer remorse reasons then the seller would have not given a defect. Ebay make it almost impossible to get defects removed without jumping through hoop, even if the seller is totally in the right.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Thus, sellers have no incentive to make good with trigger happy buyers.

"Enhancing the buyer's experience"

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

I realise that Jen, but if the buyer has committed it to writing that they just wanted to check that the seller had received it, surely that is very clear that the buyer did get it and returned it of their own accord.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@collectibles_in_canberra wrote:

We received an item today returned in an envelope with no communication at all.

The envelope has a personalised return address sticker on the back with the buyers name & address.

We then tonight received an "Item Not Received Request" for it and that they want a refund.

It is an old 1936 PMG Pay scale letter & graph which I assume they photocopied and then returned.

How can they be stupid enough to claim it was not received after sending it back with their own sticker and postmarked from their suburb.

Another defect from Ebay for this idiotic system.

I think because the return system is not working for sellers OR buyers.

I think because it is set up in a manner that it encourages the buyer to not communicate first with the seller nor take responsibility for their poor buying choices.

That being said it does not excuse the veiled "threat" made by buyer in feedback BUT it is eBay that have fuelled the flames of poor buyer behaviour & it is eBay that do not offer suitable resolution options that follow due process.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I told them the correct procedure would be to email first about returning the item and that it's against Ebay's policy to threaten Neg feedback.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Absolutely on the money. 

Therein lies the issue unfortunately 😞

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

The problem as I see it is that  you send things by normal post, not in tracked packages or anything, so naturally any buyers would return things the same way.

That system sounds ripe for a rip off although i understand it is probably the most cost effective way for you to manage the business.

Not that i think this customer is trying to rip you off at all, I suspect the ebay return system just isn't set up as well as it could be.

Things might be a whole lot easier for you if you did not accept returns as a matter of course. If sales were final.

Of course, that wouldn't apply if an item was damaged or not as described, but it might cut down on the attitude of oh well, I've changed my mind, I will just send this back and get all my money back. Which is obviously what this buyer has in mind. It would mean most buyers would probably message you first about any problem.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

y
@springyzone wrote:

The problem as I see it is that  you send things by normal post, not in tracked packages or anything, so naturally any buyers would return things the same way.

That system sounds ripe for a rip off although i understand it is probably the most cost effective way for you to manage the business.

Not that i think this customer is trying to rip you off at all, I suspect the ebay return system just isn't set up as well as it could be.

Things might be a whole lot easier for you if you did not accept returns as a matter of course. If sales were final.

Of course, that wouldn't apply if an item was damaged or not as described, but it might cut down on the attitude of oh well, I've changed my mind, I will just send this back and get all my money back. Which is obviously what this buyer has in mind. It would mean most buyers would probably message you first about any problem.

Actually makes no difference if sellers put 'Sales are Final' or 'No Returns' as they are forced to refund regardless.

Also makes you wonder why Ebay selling page lets you choose 'No Refunds' or 'Buyer Pays Return Postage' as they are irrelevant.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply