Item dispute, but buyer says she didn't lodge one

A few days ago I wrote that a buyer had opened a case more than 90 days after purchase. The dispute outcome is still pending and initially I thought it was a chargeback.

I have been communicating with the buyer, and she says that she only tried to contact me in regards to the purchase, NOT lodge a case, as the items were received back in September.

1) What's weird is that although I uploaded the tracking number into the dispute 10 minutes after getting it on Saturday, it still says that Ebay is "preparing to send the dispute rebuttal to the buyers payment institution", even though it is already Wednesday. So I wonder what has been happening for the last 3 business days and why the dispute has not automatically been pushed forward....?

2) What's also strange is that the buyer has sent me a screen shot of her Resolution Centre and there is no case on her side.

3) She claims she has not initiated a charge back with her bank, so I'm wondering if the dispute is being carried inside Paypal?

Very confusing situation for both the buyer and myself!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You're going to have to switch on your patience-mode and buttonhole an eBay CS rep.

Customer Service

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I've had the case where a 'bank' has instituted a chargeback unbeknownst to the buyer....crazy days!! It was all sorted in the end....
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@twyngwyn - can you tell me how you got it sorted out?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

None of this makes much sense, but with MP being so new, there's very little to gauge where the issue lies or originated.

If MP was not involved, my response to the buyer (at least internally) would have been "yeah, right", because in my experience, and based on the countless stories shared by others, I find instances where the buyer genuinely has no idea about a bank chargeback being initiated are the rare exceptions to the norm, however the "I don't know what's going on" is the response of buyers the vast majority of the time, because it's the only one where they "save face" yet get to wash their hands of all responsibility for what's happening. 

There shouldn't be any cases on the buyer's side if it's a chargeback, however if they tried to contact you about the order, it would have had to be via a "I didn't receive it" kind of message to trigger a case somehow, even though it's well beyond the time allowed, that should also mean there's a message from the buyer attached to the case in the resolution centre, otherwise, where did that message go (and if it's nowhere, what did they say they tried to contact you about?)

Anyway, if it helps, these are the policies surrounding INR chargebacks on ebay for sellers on MP (the fee they refer to is the $22 dispute fee):

If a buyer files a payment dispute and the transaction is eligible for protection, we'll cover the amount of the dispute, and waive the fee, if the following is true for the same transaction prior to the payment dispute being received:

When a buyer reports that they haven't received their item:

An eBay Money Back Guarantee case was found in your favour, or
You refunded your buyer, or
After the payment dispute was received, you provided proof of delivery that included all of the following:
Tracking number provided by the carrier company (uploaded by the date indicated in the payment dispute notification);
A delivery status of "delivered";
Date of delivery;
Recipient's address, showing at least the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the address displayed on the eBay Order details page; and
Proof of signature confirmation, if an order has a total cost (including postage and any applicable taxes) of $750 or more, uploaded as an image while contesting the payment dispute.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345&st=3&pos=1&q...

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@Digi - thanks.

There was no separate message from the buyer and the original transaction took place just a day or so before I moved on to MP.

In my communiction with her, she said she just wanted to contact me because she had received them, but could not find any reference to the items with the payment.

I have a weird feeling that Ebay or the buyers bank has just glitched as it makes little sense for a buyer to lodge a "not received" chargeback when there is proof of delivery. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

@twyngwyn - can you tell me how you got it sorted out?

I had great f/b from the buyer....the buyer had no idea what was going on.....got ebay/PayPal to read messages between us....it turned out that the buyer had raised a chargeback against someone else & their bank then 'flagged' everything...was soon sorted.

Good luck with yours

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Just an update - I got onto Chat with a rep this morning to look at the case as the closing date was yesterday, but it is still open and has not been sent to the buyers bank for review. Rep told me that chargebacks can take a long time to close - up to 8 weeks!

They did confirm that I would have seller protection, but sometimes you never know until the sherbert hits the fan.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply