Item is sold, but EBay say it has a second chance offer???? How come......

Item is sold, but EBay say it has a second chance offer???? How come......

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Item is sold, but EBay say it has a second chance offer???? How come......

That will appear on any (and every) auction listing that had two or more bidders - it basically just indicates that you can send one to any of the underbidders if you want to, but you don't have to (the under-bidder will receive a message saying they have a second chance to buy the item for their maximum bid, so say your item sold for $50 and the next highest bidder had bid $49, sending them the second chance offer will give them the chance to buy it for $49).

It's not something that many sellers use these days, and mostly only useful for when you have multiples of the same item and are happy with the lower bid(s), or if the winning bidder doesn't follow-through and pay for the item (not many buyers take up the offers, though, even if they were originally keen on the item). 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

No way should there be a second chance offer unless the seller has sent the offer themselves.

Ebay can't just do it on their own accord.

Second chance offers are usually sent by a seller when the original buyer has asked to have it cancelled or doesn't pay for it or when a seller has more than one item and is willing to sell it to the next highest bidder

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

You're not obligated to send it. I have a few times when I've had multiples because I always start my auctions at the lowest I'm willing to accept. Anything over that is a bonus. I've also accepted quite a few when they've been sent to me because I'm still getting the item for the price I was happy to pay.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

The OP is the seller and has sold something that had more than one bidder.  Ebay has notified her that the item is eliglible for a second chance offer....they have not sent one out.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply