Item not as Described

Had a buyer open a return on a item and selected, Item not as Described, which got my back up as they claimed did not match description, or photos, and missing a feature they thought it had and was not 3G (Phone obviously), so sent a to the buyer what do you mean does not match description or photos, from where i satand it looks exactly like the pics, (as is a uniqie design) and what is your proof that it is not 3G. As is a simple rugged button phone, which we sourced from a supplier after months of hunting down a simple phone which supports 3G, as there are many out there especially the older generation who do not want to upgrade to a smartphone with the closure of 2G networks looming. So we have throughly tested this model before releasing it on the public.

Anyhow bottom line is today sends us a message saying basically it did not have a feature on it that they percieved it had, and wanted to know if they could return it and are happy to pay for return postage. So really a change of mind admission in my book.

So what we need to know by opening a return request and selecting INAD does that incur us a defect, and if so should wecontact Ebay and get them to see that last message and hopefully get the defect removed.

Sorry about the long winded post, get carried away sometimes.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Item not as Described

imastawka
Honored Contributor

You only get defects these days for late deliveries (that dreaded question - did it arrive on or before)

Out of stock - unable to fill the order

and cases closed with no seller resolution

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/news/seller-standards

So I think you'll be fine. 

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Item not as Described

Hmm read that Stawks, but still is a bit vague as to this area, as getting annoyed with INAD cases getting opened when it turns out the buyer has basically changed thier mind, or mis enterprid a item description (excuse the spelling, no spell checker here LOL)  or as last week buyer (newbie) only read the item main heading and had no idea how to look at the item description, and of cource is a 70 plus year old pensioner (arent they all ) ,

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Item not as Described

A return request, whether the buyer selects a change of mind reason, or INAD, doesn't result in a defect unless the case is unresolved, gets escalated to eBay, and found in favour of the buyer (in those cases, it's not just a 'defect', though, it's a 'case closed without seller resolution', and the allowable margin for those is significantly lower than the one for normal 'defects', which is now strictly related to cancelling due to out of stock. Just to confuse matters, late shipment is a defect of sorts, but is counted separately from actual defects, and can't result in selling restrictions). If none of that makes sense, I'll try to clarify. Smiley Very Happy

The main issue with INAD cases when it's really a COM (change of mind), is that the system automatically wants you to pay for return postage, and issue a full refund on return, whereas in a COM request, your return policy applies (eg in my case, buyer is responsible for return postage and is refunded item price only).

If you don't want to get eBay involved, you'll need to communicate with the buyer and work out what will happen and when (eg you should have the option to offer the buyer a partial refund and if they accept it, the case is closed, but that would be the only way to get it officially closed without issuing a full refund of the original payment, should you want to retain original postage, or a restocking fee). Alternatively, if the buyer is agreeable, you could request that they close the request and the return / refund is facilitated manually.

If you call eBay and point out the messages, they may close the request, which would leave you arranging the return etc manually, as well. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Item not as Described

Thanks for the explanation Digi, that makes it a lot clearer, so basically your stuffed if you do or if you dont, LOL. actually what we do on return cases is just select will faciltate return postage costs, and as most are Change of mind, or did not read description pay for return postage themselves, where by we refund full payment as our items are the faricial free postage. LOL

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Item not as Described

Sounds like your buyers are reasonable and willing to work with you, which is especially good in the face of eBays request system ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Item not as Described

BEFORE you accept the return, ring eBay and explain that the buyer made a mistake assuming it had a specific function etc, and that the return request is a Change of Mind. Ask eBay to look at the messages from your buyer as they can read all eBay messages. They will be able to change the return to Change of Mind instead of SNAD. You won't have to refund any postage this way.

I HAD. Return request for SNAD but turns out the buyer made a mistake, sent back a different item and got a full refund of $105 inc postage and kept the original item. When I rang eBay to complain they advised that if I had've called prior to accepting the return they would've been able to change the dispute to change of mind, which would have meant no refund on postage. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Item not as Described

Yes from what i read on the boards here we must be very lucky with our buyers, selling for 10 years or so and have not blocked any buyers to date.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply