Item not received case

Hi,
Can some one tell me the timeframe for claiming item not received? I thought it was 30 days from posting date.
Just had a case opened today for an item sent on the 30th June (standard letter rate mail) saying where's my item. This is 73 days from mailing date.

From the eBay help page: Let the seller know your item hasn't arrived
If the estimated delivery date for your item has passed, and you still haven't received your item, let the seller know. You have 30 days from the estimated delivery date to inform the seller that you didn't receive your item.
Has this changed recently?

The value is $11.95. Should i just refund and move on or tell the buyer that claims cannot be considered as per ebay guidelines as the timeframe for the claim has passed.

Alice.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Item not received case

We are currently changing all our listings over to tracked letter mail and will be sending this one tracked

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I am surprised they were able to open an ebay claim if it is well beyond the 30 day limit. But firstly, just check that it is 30 days from the estimated delivery date. You may have posted it off 73 days ago but when was the ETA, that's the thing.I am assuming this was probably an item posted in Australia to an Australian address so that the ETA was probably about 60 days ago?

Personally, just for interest, before I responded to the buyer or made any promises, I'd be getting onto ebay chat or whatever and running this whole scenario past them and asking how the claim can be justified if it is well out of the ebay time limits.Point out their own terms and conditions.

We often seem to get posters here who are buyers and who complain that they can't make a claim because they have been delayed in opening a case and the advice to them is usually along the lines of they need to follow ebay terms & conditions. But that goes both ways and ebay needs to adhere to its own rules.

By rights, if it is well over 30 days since ETA, the buyer should not be able to make an ebay claim.

Now I know that they have a 180 day window to make a paypal claim but that is quite another thing. You say they are only on 13 feedback, so they may not even realise there are ebay claims plus paypal claims and that the 2 are different.

By all means send off a polite message to confirm their address, but in the meantime get onto ebay and if the claim is invalid, I wouldn't refund or send a replacement. If they then open a paypal dispute, then you'll have to but cross that bridge if you get to it. And block them. A person with only 13 feedback score and onto their second item non arrival is a bit suss in my book.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@brittanysmum2566 wrote:

If the estimated delivery date for your item has passed, and you still haven't received your item, let the seller know. You have 30 days from the estimated delivery date to inform the seller that you didn't receive your item.
Has this changed recently?

As far as I can remember that has always been the case with an MBG dispute, as said, Paypal disputes are for 180 days from the purchase date.

Other sellers on the boards have said that instead of using tracking for all items, they just add a bit to their postage across the board to cover the occasional INR - a type of self-insurance.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Please do not send this buyer another item as well as refund them.

Best way is to just refund as you have no proof of either shipping or delivery.

Otherwise you will definitely find that you're out of money and a second item.

Add them to your blocked list - anyone who claims non receipt of an item after such a length of time is definitely suss in my book.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I am surprised they were able to open an ebay claim if it is well beyond the 30 day limit. But firstly, just check that it is 30 days from the estimated delivery date. You may have posted it off 73 days ago but when was the ETA, that's the thing.I am assuming this was probably an item posted in Australia to an Australian address so that the ETA was probably about 60 days ago?

Personally, just for interest, before I responded to the buyer or made any promises, I'd be getting onto ebay chat or whatever and running this whole scenario past them and asking how the claim can be justified if it is well out of the ebay time limits.Point out their own terms and conditions.

We often seem to get posters here who are buyers and who complain that they can't make a claim because they have been delayed in opening a case and the advice to them is usually along the lines of they need to follow ebay terms & conditions. But that goes both ways and ebay needs to adhere to its own rules.

By rights, if it is well over 30 days since ETA, the buyer should not be able to make an ebay claim.

Now I know that they have a 180 day window to make a paypal claim but that is quite another thing. You say they are only on 13 feedback, so they may not even realise there are ebay claims plus paypal claims and that the 2 are different.

By all means send off a polite message to confirm their address, but in the meantime get onto ebay and if the claim is invalid, I wouldn't refund or send a replacement. If they then open a paypal dispute, then you'll have to but cross that bridge if you get to it. And block them. A person with only 13 feedback score and onto their second item non arrival is a bit suss in my book.

Indeed, a buyer can open an Item not Received case here on eBay AFTER the time has elapsed. I had this problem earlier this year whereby a buyer bought something in early December and opened a case in late January and left a red dot saying I ripped them off. It was well beyond the estimated delivery time, and eBay told me that buyers can still open them after the 30 days have elapsed, but that it's at the seller's discretion as to whether to refund or not.

In this case, Alice, I would recommend what others have: message your buyer and ask them to confirm their address. If the address is correct, and it's beyond the 30 days, then it's up to you whether you refund or replace, but keep in mind they can still leave whatever feedback they wish for up to 60 days, and as others have said, I think they can also open a dispute with Paypal. Seeing as it's a small amount, I'd personally refund, but how every seller runs their business is up to them, of course. 

Moving to 100% trackable shipments is the best thing I ever did - no more stress. My sales have not suffered at all despite the increase in postage cost.

Just make sure you keep the stamped vouchers that detach from the trackable letter envelopes, plus your receipt, and you're covered by AP if it doesn't arrive, and by eBay if it does and the buyer opens a claim.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Your message is a little confusing trying to figure out if you are the buyer or seller. So by the last part, I think you are the seller, so I will reply to that. The 30 days is from the LAST date mentioned in the estimated delivery. I think eBay may have extended this because of the Pandemic.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

If buyer has opend a INR case from anyway (ebay or Paypal), the seller has to refund them if the order sent without tracking. There is no argument there. If the case escalated to eBay or Paypal they will refund the buyer without asking you anything and you will get an item defect on your account.

In simple words No Tracking means No proof. Seller is doomed!!! 

When I get this kind of thing I usually try to send the item again since it cost me less than refund. Worst case is refunding the buyer without getting an item defect.

From Oct 01st 2020, ebay will refund any INR case after 03 days opened the case and give the seller item defect. New Rules!!!!!!

According to new rules, if seller do not update tracking, its impossible to do sales like before.. Very sad situation....

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply