Item returned after pickup

jvdv
Community Member

Sold a used pair of runners which although used still had plenty of wear left in them. The winning bidder asked if he could pick them up which was fine - he came, inspected the shoes, paid and left.

So I left him good feedback and thought the matter was closed.

Later that day I get a call from the buyer saying the shoes were more worn than he had thought and asked to return them. Being the softie I am I agreed - he dropped off the shoes and I refunded his money.

Now to cancel the sale and get a refund of the commission eBay has to get confirmation from the buyer and when this happened in the past the buyer sometimes doesn't respond to eBay's confirmation request. I think they allow ten days for a reply.  On the other hand I could treat it as being unpaid and after 4 days eBay would just refund the commission and I could then relist the item.

ANy suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If you didn't mark the item as paid and posted, then open an UPI disute. If it is marked as paid (make sure you also mark as posted or you'll possibly cop a postage defect), then do a cancellation and use the option that buyer changed mind. You shouldn't get a defect with that option. If the buyer doesn't accept the cancellation, you should be able to close it between 8 and 10 days (I've had some that could close after 8, others were 10, so start checking after 8).

I would tell the buyer to just ignore the request because if they hit decline, you lose your fees. In future, say no to pick up returns because they had ample time to inspect the shoes before walking off with them. That's one of the advantages of pick up. If you don't like the item, you just walk away. Plus, there is no buyer (or seller) protection with pick up items, so he couldn't have done anything to you any way (apart from bad feedback).

If you're going to sell on eBay, you have to leave your soft touch at the door. Otherwise, people will walk all over you. Speaking from experience.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

i agree with tippy. no room on ebay for being a softie.

in this case the buyer has done an inspection of the item, heck he could have put em on and run up the street and back lol.

so he cannot try the item not as described routine. in my opinion.

once you start agreeing to refunds like this one you have no where to go.

of course what makes it harder is this persons been to your home so making him angry could start a bigger problem, another good reason not to to pickups.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply