Item/seller Location exploitation

Never posted here before and a Google search revealed this has been going on for years and is getting possessively worse.

You have to understand the frustration here as a buyer.

Every time I look for an item I have to sift through hundreds of Chinese sellers, even after setting my search filter to Australia Only.

The item location says Australia and then you go to their store and they have 1000 items all located in HK. You can purchase an item thinking it's in the country then it takes 4 weeks to arrive which is not good enough.

I don't give a rats where my item is manufactured, I would rather pay more locally than wait 4 weeks to get my item that has been posted from overseas, after thinking I've purchased from an Aussie seller that actually has products IN AUSTRALIA.

I'm going to start shopping locally, I'll give it a month then check back but I wont be spending any more money on this site until I see some action being taken against these sellers who are clearly fooling the system, and the administrators.

Basically: Stop Chinese sellers from pretending they're in Australia.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Item/seller Location exploitation

The extended GST collection wn't start until at least 1st July 2018.

The Senate Economics Legislation Committee Report supported the bill but recommended futher consideration and consultation and a delayed start date.

Oh, I didn't know that. The ATO website is still stating that the change will take place on 1/7/2017

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/new-legislation/in-detail/indirect-taxes/gst/gst-on-low-value-importe...

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Ah, legalese.

The bill (GST on low proced imported goods) was introduced to parliament with a proposed introduction date of 1/7/17.

The bill wasn't passed by parliament and was instead referred to a specific senate committee for investigation. On May 7th the committee presented their report, recommending further consultation with stakeholders and a delayed start date. 

Nothing further has been discussed in parliament that I know of. The bill wasn't passed in its original form, which means it's not yet part of Aus legislation.

The page you refer to was last updated 06 Apr 2017 while the bill was being considered by the senate committee.

@zulu_99 wrote:
Will this not change in July when the $1000 GST free limit on imports is removed? Surely a message saying import duty will be added to the price will make people realise they are ordering from China??

I imagine it would be based on where the goods are coming from rather than where the seller is based.

I'm not sure on whom the onus would be to prove that the goods are already in Aus and have already been subject to GST. If they go for a Vendor Collection model (which seems favoured bby most atm), that would be Ebay's responsibility. They would hate having to do that! Either Ebay wouldn't bother to check and would allow listings with fraudulent locations to continue (indeed, those listings would expand greatly), or they would increase their fees to cover the extra work.

mblocka
Community Member
Give the seller bad feed back really stick it to them they hate it
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

It is nearly 2 years since this thread was started.....way to late to leave feedback now.

Please look at the posting dates on threads before jumping in.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply