Items with Flaws

We were told very early in the piece to be very careful listing items with Flaws and to make sure everything was described accurately. We were even advised to simply not list them.

However, in the majority we deal with vintage items, a certain percentage of which will have the odd flaw, of varying degrees. We've adopted the advice about listing accurately. We're very sensitive about it and go to the lengths of inspecting items with an LED aided magnifying glass and including in our descriptions, all that we can see. In most cases we repeat it. Oh, and this relates only to cosmetic flaws, scratches, minor dents, tarnish etc. We don't list anything with a 'defect' causing operational difficulties.

Now, not that we've had any complaints, or grey or red feedback, or any type of real concerns, it's interesting to note the odd piece of less than enthusiastic feedback, relative to those items with say, the more apparent flaws, or blemishes in the aesthetics department. This is, despite the fact that everything was described very accurately.

Not a complaint, just an observation. It's like as if certain buyers are saying, "Yeah, okay, but??" With that slight inference they were just a penstroke away from a bit of red.

We're sure buyers read of the flaws, but they seem to downplay them somewhat in their minds, in deference to really wanting the item, regardless, and perhaps then it comes home to them when they receive it.

We're considering simply not listing any item with flaws that are just a bit too apparent.

Anyone else come across behaviour like this?

Melina.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Items with Flaws

I wouldn't fuss too much. I would only be worried with a negative feedback or something a customer feels is not as described.
I've had fb stating "OK'. I just let it go but was wondering if something was wrong.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Items with Flaws

You might as well list the flaws in the item heading/title as that's as far as some buyers look before buying and then complaining later lol

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Items with Flaws

We have some buyers who just leave "OK" or "Thanks" or similar slightly underwhelming feedback & used to wonder if something was wrong.

Then we started checking their feedback left for others, & often find that it's the same for everyone.

Some of these are also regular buyers, so obviously not unhappy with their items.

Some people just don't like typing.

As no-one has complained or left negs, just keep doing what you're doing. It's definitely much better & more detailed than many sellers we've come across.
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Items with Flaws

If I list something with flaws I usually over state the flaws or list as Not working, parts only.

I can't sell it as new or good condition so it just lies around.

May as well get $10 or $20 for it and sell it as not working.

Buyer is always very happy when they find it's better than they thought.

If there is no way of getting a good price elsewhere anyway, sell items with flaws dirt cheap, making it clear for parts only.

If the flaws are only a few scuffs or marks then sell as seconds/rejects. And cheap to get rid of them.

Describe in the title, ebay's description section and the listing description. 

That should eliminate any ambiguities. You may still get the odd numpty, but what's life if you don't go out on a limb occasionally. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Items with Flaws

Didn't you resolve not to overthink things?

With respect, I think you're doing it again.

I've had a single dot left, presumably because you have to put something in the box. As long as it's not grey or red, I don't worry about what is said. Although if I ever Do get a red dot, I'll probably be apoplexic.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Items with Flaws

I, too, list items with flaws (almost always aesthetic).

This is what I do:

1. Put it in item title (eg: "[Item Name] - Minor Damage").

2. Put it in the description, with as much detail as possible. Eg: "there is a scratch on the upper left hand side of the cover, measuring approximately 4 cm. This does not affect any other part of the book, including the pages. Please refer to the second photo."

3. Put a clear photograph of the damage. I usually put a close-up, and/or a photo of the entire item with the fault circled in red.

4. I lower the price by however much I think is reasonable, and put something in the description to the effect of, "the item has been discounted accordingly" (because usually, I have undamaged stock of the same item). If the item is a once of, you could always put something like, "this scratch has been taken into account when pricing this item".

I've never had a neutral or a negative, and I've sold literally thousands of flawed items.

If I ever get a grey or a red, I'd reply with something like, "This flaw was detailed in the item title and description, and the price was discounted". Anyone can click on the item and see for themselves, so the buyer would look unreasonable, not me.

Most of my less-than-enthusiastic feedback is about sizing. I put exact dimensions in all of my descriptions, and I also use words like "mini" (if something is a miniature version of another item). Despite this, I've still had comments like, "Good item but really small" (even though being small is the whole point of a "mini" version of something ....). Smiley Indifferent

Don't worry about this too much, Melina. If you're describing clearly and accurately, that's the best you can do.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Items with Flaws

Wait until you find a flaw in something that's already sold! That's where you really have to put your thinking cap on.

If you've got hundreds or thousands of items to sell and you can't get them all listed straight away, put your time into listing the best ones while ebay is still functioning properly and people are buying (and before the scammers really get out of hand), then deal with the flawed ones after you've listed or got rid of all the others. That way you'll get a lot more money back for the time you spend on it until you get to the flawed ones, but by then you may have had enough of it all and be happy to quit selling together, or you may have found somewhere else to sell them.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Items with Flaws

First off, i think you're doing exactly the right thing to list flaws & show photos etc

When it comes to feedback though, I have a theory. My theory is there are some people out there who know what they are buying has a fault or whatever and are content to buy it like that but it is as if their feedback is rating the product itself, not the ad, not the description ie what they are saying is-this product is okay but it has some faults, it isn't perfect.

They see this as an honest description of their product. I've seen this time and again with some feedback, almost like they are echoing back some of the original description.

As long as it isn't a neg I wouldn't worry. It's the ones who make it a red dot as well who take it too far-then i would be ringing ebay to see if it could be removed.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply