Just tried to list a collection of books and was forced into providing a lot of irrelevant detail.

ambrob
Community Member

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Just tried to list a collection of books and was forced into providing a lot of irrelevant detail.

other members need more information if you have a question

A comment in the heading does not help us help you

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I guess why do you think it's not relevant,  or is it just to much effort to put it in.

The more detail you provide the better searches will work

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Title, author and language are the only required item specifics. Everything else is recommended or additional.

I find 'none' and 'unknown' to be good for a lot of fields. 'Various' for collections with different publishers.

It doesn't really take that long...

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

@davewil - if the seller doesn't fill up the "Required", as well as the "Recommended" specifics, the blue circle stays under-filled which in all probability reduces listing visibility. Ebay continues to send emails about updating items with the recommended specifics in order to reach more buyers.

It is definitely time consuming when you have several hundred to go through and have already dedicated time on this task in the past and are now having to plow through them all again because they've added more requirements. All of my 400 listing which previously had the blue circle completed are now needing additional work to be more visible.

The only bit that does not seem to affect the blue circle is the "Additional" section, although whenever I open a listing, it highlights the information in the section and tells me to update it regardless.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I have 2000. Cry me a river.

I did the required and spend a whole 10 minutes a day doing the recommended.

I only work a 9 hour day (with commute), so if you work more, I sympathise.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Why so flippant all the time and always trying to invalidate people's experiences and concerns?

If yours took 10 mins, that great. For you.

There have been a number of threads about the ridiculous amount of time taken in order to fulfil these nonsense expectations, especially when the goalposts keep moving. Anyone with several hundred items across dozens of different categories will take longer than 10 mins, especially if one takes time to carefully check that everything is in order. 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Not flippant.

Simply relating my experience.

If you don't have 10 minutes per day, ignore my experience.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

@davewil - if the seller doesn't fill up the "Required", as well as the "Recommended" specifics, the blue circle stays under-filled which in all probability reduces listing visibility. Ebay continues to send emails about updating items with the recommended specifics in order to reach more buyers.

Which 'blue circle' are you referring to? Where does it show?

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply