Just venting....

Hi all, just need to vent a little to people who understand the frustration. I have a customer who bought 3 lots off me recently and paid 3 lots of postage. I posted the item and refunded the difference of combine postage cost. All good I thought...until I get several rude messages asking WHY there was a partial refund into the buyers account. I explained why and pointed to the Payplay message explaing the refund..Then I get one today asking for a tracking number which was not done (items went as a large letter) To top it all I included extra items as I do in some prurchases...ohh well sometimes you can not do right for doing wrong.

The other issue was with a buyer NOT reading description proberly and claimed against me as NOT AS DECRIBED - WHAT - how does that work?  I guess now a couple of refunds and strike are heading my way. Wow, Rant over, thanks for hearing me out. Cheers, Dave

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Just venting....

You're dammed if you do, dammed if you don't (spelling error intentional). I've done the same, combined separate orders and refunded the difference. Buyer got upset. Other times I've sent multiple orders and buyer got upset because I should have sent them together. You just can't win sometimes. I'm waiting to see if I get a complaint off one buyer. He bought something from 2 different accounts. I covered myself and sent separately. It's obvious they came from the same person, so we'll see.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Ihear you Tippy, just can not win. I think my ebay days are numbered. When I did send everything signiture delivery people grumped abouyt teh extra 2.95, now I send selected items without it and people whine about not being able to track their pacrels. Im pretty much over it as there is no win for the seller.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I would never combine items that were paid for separately and clearly state that in my listings. If they pay for three lots of postage that is what they get, 3 items posted individually.

I tell buyers that if they want combined postage to contact me for a combined invoice before they pay,, if they don't do that then I assume they want them posted as they have requested.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I would never combine items that were paid for separately and clearly state that in my listings. If they pay for three lots of postage that is what they get, 3 items posted individually.

I tell buyers that if they want combined postage to contact me for a combined invoice before they pay,, if they don't do that then I assume they want them posted as they have requested.

I'm finally coming round to the same strategy. I prefer combining postage when buyers ask for it before payment, as it saves money not just for them, but me also as the postage fees are reduced. But those people who pay separately and immediately. - even though I ask twice in each listing to please wait for an amended invoice if they purchase more than one item from me - from now on are getting separate parcels. What changed my mind? Simpley because working out how much to refund and still cover myself for all fees involved is just too complicated, and secondly, when I do so, only once in a blue moon does the buyer acknowledge or thank me.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for the feedback. I may have to just send separate packs also, and change my listings back to SIGNITURE delivery and just accept that missed sales as part of doing business. Ive been selling on ebay for near on 20 years and can not believe how many rude customers have crept into the system, not even a "Hi, just enquirying", now its straight into, where is my item and Ill get onto Ebay and give you negative feedback etc. Oh well, nothing new I guess, Ill go drink some coffee with cement in it, LOL. Cheers, and all the best to all sellers.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I love the messages that CONTAIN words or SENTENCES in UPPERCASE,  so they can show you just how ANGRY they are. Thankfully I've only HAD TWO of those. The last sentence being I AM NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with lots of exclamation marks). You can feel them pounding their keyboard as they type it. Pounding the keyboard puts extra emphasis into the message.

If I've got a long term repeat buyer I'll combine separate orders, but everyone else, separate payments = separate packages. With this new immediate payment thing, sellers are going to have to dedicate a whole room just for the extra packaging required, as everything will be sent separately.

If someone complains about separate packages, I'll tell them that if I combined them with separate payments, I'd lose my seller protection, but more importantly they'll lose their buyer protection.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Anyone who complains about partial refunds (ie: being given unexpected money back) is, frankly, quite daft. Why would you be angry about something costing you less than you thought?

My advice is just be clear in your listing as to what your policy is. Then you can always refer back to it if someone complains.

I give partial refunds all the time, not only because people pay separately, but because people don't wait for invoices when buying multiple items. My listings state very clearly that excess postage will be refunded minus fees (yes, I know you can call eBay and get the fees back, but I have neither the time nor patience). I've never had anyone complain about this, but if they did, that's what I'd be referring back to.

Try not to let it get to you. I used to worry a lot about getting negative feedback, complaints, etc. I still care about my buyers being happy, but at the end of the day, you can only do your best. You can't control what anyone else does.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I love the messages that CONTAIN words or SENTENCES in UPPERCASE,  so they can show you just how ANGRY they are. Thankfully I've only HAD TWO of those. The last sentence being I AM NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with lots of exclamation marks). You can feel them pounding their keyboard as they type it. Pounding the keyboard puts extra emphasis into the message.

If I've got a long term repeat buyer I'll combine separate orders, but everyone else, separate payments = separate packages. With this new immediate payment thing, sellers are going to have to dedicate a whole room just for the extra packaging required, as everything will be sent separately.

If someone complains about separate packages, I'll tell them that if I combined them with separate payments, I'd lose my seller protection, but more importantly they'll lose their buyer protection.

Not long after this was first brought up on the forum, I had a buyer who bought three items from me, but was able to then send a request for combined postage before she paid. So this immmediate payment thing is another one of ebay's 'not across everyone' initiatives.

(and how I wish I had to have another room just to store packaging, but alas, I don't have that many sales).

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, your advice is appreciated. Cheers, Dave

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply