Just venting...

Hi all, has anyone else felt the need to justify the price of an item after recieving a buyer's offer?

I have an item listed at 39.99. plus post. 

I was offered $20 for the item, posted in a tube at my cost. The guy says he can buy the item for $6US plus postage - and offered me the $20 deal...I thought about it for a while and did some figures. The item at todays price would owe me $6US plus say $20 post (easy) so right there is $35Aussie (Cost /.73c) roughly. If I was to add the 10.90 post plus say 3.50 for a tube I would be in it for 50.01, then I have eBay and Paypal fees to include. I know buyers have to offer and I have the right to yes or no etc and thats OK, it just makes you think a little harder about what the costs of items really are. Just venting...I know someone will understand..Cheers, Dave

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Just venting...

I love the "delete" button when I get a knuckle-head enquiry. The "is this still available?" question has  NEVER ended up in a sale, (when I used to waste my time and actually reply), so now it's my good friend , "Delete". I put in the ad "I do not answer emails or texts (I don't have a mobile phone anyway), just ring the number at the bottom, it's easy!!. When you get a buyer who can actually read, and rings on the "Oh my God... You mean I have to actually SPEAK to someone" type telephone, it invariably ends in a sale.

Or I get the " I can buy this for half that price" story, I will sometimes answer with "Good for you", and then delete any further contact.

It sorts the sheep from the goats. 

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

You're going well.

Given there are plenty of lurkers on the boards who never post but are happy to report anybody who transgresses the rules (like putting contact information in listings), you could well regret having come to the boards to advertise this.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

I was trying to reply to the post about advertising on other sites, not Ebay. I have already been put in the naughty corner about giving my phone number to someone about pre-inspecting a very rare car part, they saw my suburb and lived close by.  I sent them my number, they thought I was ignoring them, and they never bought it. I didn't know that it was an international incident, and so many small animals died because of my heinous act. I hereby apologise to our, and any future generations for my appalling action.Smiley Wink

Spoiler

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

As far as ebay are concerned it definitely is the unpardonable sin to give out contact details. You only get a couple of warnings before they close you down altogether.

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

Next time make a counter-offer even higher than the original price! Haha 😉

I've had someone come at me with an offer and I caved and felt ripped off later.

I'm ignoring these cheapskates from now on. It's either me or them isn't it. I'm not a charity... I have bills to pay and expect to receive the price I'm asking, thanks very much. If I was going to sell it for cheaper I'd list it for cheaper.

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply