Linked Bank Account Security Breach??

Gday All,

Sorry to be longwinded but this is complicated and I am very concerned...

I am a Seller and a Buyer and was transferred to MP mid March.

Since the changeover I have paid for my purchases through my linked debit account.

No worries until last night....

The payment was declined and I was asked to re send payment, so I went through Checkout again this morning and used my linked bank account.

Same thing happened again so the third time I paid using my PP account.  That was accepted and all's fine.

I went online to check my account and, whilst going through another account I found that the two payments were taken from my unlinked account!!

I spent 90 minutes talking to CSOs and then Managers and was passed around different departments four times today and, in the end after no response for an 25 extra minutes, I closed chat and have not received a chat transcript, as per usual.

Now, I understand that ebay and/or their agents had access to my account when I was transferred on to MP, but I changed my banking password.

The ebay account is the ONLY account that I use online for purchases so, how the heck did the amounts get taken from an unlinked account? How safe am I from ebay taking more amounts - still not refunded.

Today is Friday when glitches occur but this started last night.

Any suggestions - please.

TIA Jo

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It might be something to do with the account type, as well. I used to have two transaction accounts with Commonwealth and I could withdraw from them both with the same ATM card, or pay for transactions via eftpos, and which account was debited depended on whether I selected savings or cheque as the account to draw from. 

Something like that could be happening here, maybe (I really don't know how likely, or even if possible, just brainstorming for a potential, explainable cause). 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Stupid question, was the unlinked MP account linked to Paypal and because you had insufficient funds in paypal did they draw it from there to allow your payment to go through?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Gday kat,

That's not a stupid question, you were covering all the bases.

The unlinked account has never been used to pay for anything online.

The linked account is used for all payments, including PayPal and eBay.

It was the linked account that was used for the first two payment attempts, and there was well over sufficient funds available. The two payments came out of my unlinked account but because it was unlinked, eBay wanted me to re send payment, hence the three payments.

The third attempt was successful using my PP account.

eBay seems to think I'm worried about getting refunds but my main concern is the fact that my unlinked account is somewhere in the system... How??

Thanks for trying kat

Jo

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

are the two banking accounts linked to each other in any way?  I’m not talking about any linking to eBay, I’m asking about the two accounts as you said while you were in one you checked another.

Is there a ‘sweep’ authority within the bank that allows funds from one account be used if insufficient funds are in the other?

I’m not saying this is what has happened.  I’m just asking questions that you might not have thought of.

An item should only be able to be paid for once.  Is there any chance that because of the ‘glitch’ you have bought the same item three times?  Just curious

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

It might be something to do with the account type, as well. I used to have two transaction accounts with Commonwealth and I could withdraw from them both with the same ATM card, or pay for transactions via eftpos, and which account was debited depended on whether I selected savings or cheque as the account to draw from. 

Something like that could be happening here, maybe (I really don't know how likely, or even if possible, just brainstorming for a potential, explainable cause). 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@ k1ooo- sir

I was checking them in my online banking account with NAB, a trusted site.

The two accounts aren't linked in any way: one was an old Cheque account back in the day and the other was a Savings account. They are separate and have different fees etc.

No sweep authority with these accounts.

My hypothesis is that whilst eBay/Adyen had access when I signed in to my account they could 'see' my accounts and their numbers. I accept that they needed to have me verified but I thought they wouldn't keep any information once I was verified. I changed my password within days to cover this.

Somehow ?? when I used the linked account to pay for my purchase, it has been taken from the unlinked account and, within 30 mins, eBay found that it was the wrong account.

Hence, the email that the payment didn't go through so I needed to pay for the item. This happened twice before I gave up and used PP - successfully.

I haven't had this problem with previous purchases.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this clearly (I know what I'm trying to convey 🤔)

Jo

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@digi

Thanks for your help brainstorming this problem Digi, all assistance and ideas are gratefully received.

Your ideas have merit but the question remains:- How did they know the other account number, not just the card number? 

I thought I was being so clever and secure never using the non linked account for anything online and just having the one dedicated account to use online.

Just feeling vulnerable I guess.

With Thanks

Jo

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@jorayjen-1 wrote:

Your ideas have merit but the question remains:- How did they know the other account number, not just the card number? 

They wouldn't - you don't provide your account number at all when using a debit card online or through eftpos, you just provide the card number and security code -if that card can be used to access the other account by directing the debit via something like account type, then it would be an issue with the debit process - that is, if you can go to an ATM, insert that card, and withdraw money from either account by selecting a specific account type or what have you, then when eBay performs a debit attempt, if something in that process changes and it's directed to debit from "cheque" instead of "savings" (just as an example) then it would try to debit from the alternative account....though that doesn't explain why the funds were debited and the payments still failed.  (Which is to say, this issue should be completely separate from managed payments and any info you supplied during that process). 

As another example, I now have two accounts with ING (one is an everyday transaction account, the other is a dedicated savings account), but I can only access one of them with the Visa debit card - I can transfer between them easily, but I can't actually draw directly from the savings account, so I'd have to transfer money from the savings account to the transaction account in order to spend it - if this is the kind of set up you have with your accounts, then the issue could be a lot more concerning, depending on whether it was a problem with eBay or the bank (I'm guessing the former if this has never happened before, since and / or with any other online payments you've made). 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote

" I can transfer between them easily, but I can't actually draw directly from the savings account, so I'd have to transfer money from the savings account to the transaction account in order to spend it - if this is the kind of set up you have with your accounts, then the issue could be a lot more concerning, depending on whether it was a problem with eBay or the bank (I'm guessing the former if this has never happened before, since and / or with any other online payments you've made)."

This is how I have my accounts set up.  I can only do it in person or online on banking website.

The debits have now disappeared from the unlinked account.

I'm probably just over reacting but it shook me a bit (the How bit)

Thank you fir trying to nut this one out with me.

Jo 😊

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

boxeh83
Community Member

Gday kat,

That is not a moronic inquiry, you were considering every contingency.

The unlinked account has never been utilized to pay for anything on the web.

The connected record is utilized for all installments, including PayPal and eBay.

It was the connected record that was utilized for the initial two installment endeavors, and there was above and beyond adequate assets accessible. The two installments emerged from my unlinked account but since it was unlinked, eBay needed me to re send installment, thus the three installments.

The third endeavor was fruitful utilizing my PP account.

eBay assumes I'm stressed over getting discounts yet my primary concern is the way that my unlinked account is some place in the framework... How??

Much obliged for attempting kat

Jo

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply