Listing brand new items amongst used ones

I think I've noticed a pattern whereby my BNWT or even NWOT listings for clothing items seem to get ignored.

My store mostly sells used clothes, accessories, hats, shoes and handbags. Occasionally some of these items are new with or without tags. I initially thought these items would be more desirable, but this seems sadly not to be the case.

Obviously my cosmetics, perfumes, skin and haircare items are new so they're ok, but the clothing...I don't price those items any higher because they're new (at first I did slightly, but not for months).

I suspect buyers are searching in their filters for USED clothing so they find most of my items that way, but unless they go to my store itself, they'll never see the new clothing items.

Is this a feasible theory? Should I say these items are used but perfect even when they're brand new? lol.

Or maybe the new items are just really ugly compared to the used ones. lol
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'd find that strange, too.

I haven't bought adult clothes on ebay for a long time but as a buyer, I never filtered for new/used. I merely typed in the brand I was interested in. So, it may come down to which brands you have, whether there are a lot of people searching for them etc

The only time I remember filtering to deliberately look at used was once when I was looking at wedding dresses (out of curiosity only as I had daughters who had recently married) and I filtered because otherwise I was getting almost non stop Chinese items.

Unless I was buying a vintage item, I would personally prefer to buy something that was unworn, with or without tags, so not sure why your items are overlooked. The popularity of the brand names is all I can think of, or are they the same brands as your used clothing?

Styles/colours/season the clothes are designed for could also come into it too, I suppose.  How long a time period are we talking? Things could change over the next couple of months.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
I think I've noticed a pattern whereby my BNWT or even NWOT listings for clothing items seem to get ignored.

I don't buy clothing, but if I did BNWT or NWOT mean absolutely nothing to me, I don't have a clue as to what they mean. I would of course look it up, out of curiousity mainly, even though whatever they mean would not make any difference to me as to whether I buy or not, I am more interested in the item and it's condition and price. I just wonder how many others would not bother to take the time to find out what these abbreviations mean.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Most of us already know what they mean shoppingbag.

BNWT....brand new with tags....sometimes also written NWT

NWOT....new without tags

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you! Yes, it is a bit odd.

The new items are the same kind of brands as the used ones. I would kind of understand more if the new stuff was different / lesser brands or if I was charging much more for it, but nope.

Maybe just one of the many mysteries of the ebay buyer.

Having said that, I too am a buyer and the only reason I would look for used clothes over new is if the used was much cheaper.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply