MC036 Your listing has been removed: Alcohol

Received this yesterday. Since when do Empty Beer Cans come under the Alcohol Policy. I had a set of Empty Collectors Beer Cans Listed. Dating early 1990's and eBay decided to delete them as it was in breach of their Alcohol Policy as there was no License Number In The Discription. These cans are still full to protect them from getting damaged but once sold they would have been empied with small holes on the base. Who in there right mind would want to drink beer 20 years old. I am not very happy. Then they sent me a survey asking about what I thought about their decision I did the survey and really told them what I thought.

Crowsman

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: MC036 Your listing has been removed: Alcohol

Probably just the eBay system bot has picked it up and auto removed it.

If they are empty, you could appeal it with eBay and ask them how to list them.

But if they have alcohol, even undrinkable, eBay are governed by Australian law.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

You state they are empty, then state they are full - huh?

You are not allowed to sell alcohol on EBay - it doesnt matter if its 5 weeks or 50 years old.

Id be less worried about EBays policy and more about copping a big fine, because its also illegal.

Even if the cans were completely empty, I still wouldnt be suprised if EBay deleted them - its quite the conflict of interest.  To be honest, Im amazed you tried.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Why is it a conflict of interest?  I don't understand your point.  

The way I read spottymeg53's OP, the cans are stored full because having them intact helps maintain the shape of the cans.  Once they were sold, the liquid would be drained out and they would be sent to the buyer empty.  Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Makes sense.

Although I reckon the chance of deformation would be a lot higher in the post than sitting on a shelf, so no point leaving them full really.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

Why is it a conflict of interest?  I don't understand your point.  

The way I read spottymeg53's OP, the cans are stored full because having them intact helps maintain the shape of the cans.  Once they were sold, the liquid would be drained out and they would be sent to the buyer empty.  Apologies if I have misunderstood.

That might be so, but how does eBay know that's going to happen? There is no way to prove to them that the contents will be stipped out after sale.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@saarzi wrote:

You state they are empty, then state they are full - huh?

You are not allowed to sell alcohol on EBay - it doesnt matter if its 5 weeks or 50 years old.

Id be less worried about EBays policy and more about copping a big fine, because its also illegal.

Even if the cans were completely empty, I still wouldnt be suprised if EBay deleted them - its quite the conflict of interest.  To be honest, Im amazed you tried.

really ? type in "wine" not to mention rum,whisky etc etc..

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

You need to prove to eBay that you have a licence to sell alcohol
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Yes the beer/wine sellers on ebay have their liquor licence number displayed in the description area.

So I guess its OK to sell alcohol on ebay just as long as you have a licence to do so.

But I have seen other alcohol "containers" for sale on ebay as well... eg wine barrels. (item 161755096871)

How would they know if/not these had anything consumable in them?

Their description does not specifically say no alcohol included in them. Nor is there any licence displayed.

I can also see other beer cans (presumably empty, but the description does not say so) (Item 181942634594)

So to de-list yours in this way does seem a little inconsistent.

We have had these MCxxx in the past for items in the incorrect category when there have been lots of similar items in the very same category. But alas, when we spoke to them about the inconsistency they would not listen at all.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I don't know what you expect.

You admit there is alcohol in the cans,  you don't have a license.

You are breaching Ebay rules.  But more importantly you are breaching the law.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply